1987 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Good company with decent benefits and decent amount of opportuntites

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Cedar Hill, TX (US)
Former Employee - Area Manager in Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Pros

jcp is not scared to place you in a role that you have no experience in. Multiple locations throughout the country which provides opportunities for advancement if willing to locate.

Cons

Limited opportunities if not willing to locate. If a position is offered to you and you turn down the position (due to location or job preferences), it is difficult to advance.

Management should evaluate their distribution center HR policies as there are a multitude of under-performing supervisors and managers who cannot be dismissed from the company due to the Pro-employee approach they take. This effects moral of quality employees.

Other Reviews for J. C. Penney

Not a bad place to start

Current Employee - Service Lead Expert
    Current Employee - Service Lead Expert

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great promote within mentality
    -Company values input
    -Great prices
    -Great discount on already great priced merchandise
    -Work two weekends, get one weekend off
    -Nice benefits

Cons

-Ron Johnson expects too much without providing the salary to support adequate staffing
    -Somehow they expect us to take care of customers while we have a hundred other things to do
    -I don't have time to do everything they expect in a 40 hr workweek.
    -No overtime, but I work off the clock a lot

Give us the proper people/staffing to get the job done RIGHT. We need to invest our time/money into our PEOPLE (leadership included). Otherwise, we will get no where. Also, I never feel like I am appreciated, even though I bend over backwords for you, my team members, our customers, and while executing the monthly SET. Be fair toward all of your lead experts and not dump the majority of the workload on one.

Changes Are Killing My Branch

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a good employee discount and, if you are good at your job, you can go far. I would say JCP does care about its employees.

Cons

You have to have a college degree to get into a management spot no matter how much you know or how long you've worked there. The new changes to the JCP look is really taking away from what JCP built.They are shutting down branches all over my city.

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!