There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney

Good company with decent benefits and decent amount of opportuntites

Former Employee - Area Manager in Cedar Hill, TX (US)
Former Employee - Area Manager in Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

jcp is not scared to place you in a role that you have no experience in. Multiple locations throughout the country which provides opportunities for advancement if willing to locate.

Cons

Limited opportunities if not willing to locate. If a position is offered to you and you turn down the position (due to location or job preferences), it is difficult to advance.

Management should evaluate their distribution center HR policies as there are a multitude of under-performing supervisors and managers who cannot be dismissed from the company due to the Pro-employee approach they take. This effects moral of quality employees.

2127 Other Employee Reviews for J. C. Penney (View Most Recent)

Changes Are Killing My Branch

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a good employee discount and, if you are good at your job, you can go far. I would say JCP does care about its employees.

Cons

You have to have a college degree to get into a management spot no matter how much you know or how long you've worked there. The new changes to the JCP look is really taking away from what JCP built.They are shutting down branches all over my city.

The Company is alright to work for, but you need to play the political game if want to get promoted

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Vacation time credit for previous work experience is a nice bonus. Was there 4 months and received credit for my previous employment years that was equal to 5 weeks!

Cons

Poor/Inadequate Senior Leadership Team with regards to people Development
    Not enough focus on enhancing Leadership skills
    Too much instability since Ron came in as CEO
    Haven't received a Manager's raise in last 18mos due to Company's poor financial results

Feel that the Executives are trying to change too much without thoroughly assessing the pros/cons through. Also feel that the company is confused- unsure which direction that it is currently

There are newer employer reviews for J. C. Penney