J.B. Hunt
www.jbhunt.com Lowell, AR 5000+ Employees

So far, so bad...Whether or not JBHT was a good foundation for me long term - yet to be determined....

Various Roles, Managerial and Otherwise (Former Employee)
Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe pros of JBHT ? Well it was a job and paid the bills for a few years early in my career...It taught me how to handle stressful situations, how *not* to lead/manage people, and has in some arenas (where folks are familiar with how difficult an environment this organization was) reflected well on a resume. To be balanced and fair, while it was by far the exception rather than the norm, I did meet some great individuals and experience personal development while there. Company stock has outperformed, and Intermodal/DCS business units are solid to the portfolio and remain in a growth stage.

To what extent this place served as a solid start for my career is still yet to be determined - thus far I can only say it set me back professionally a few years and I'm still trying to make up that ground. Hopefully one day I'll look back and see it differently.

ConsWhere do I start ? I suppose the #1 issue JBHT had at its core was compensation. A good pay check covers many sins/ills, and much of the poor culture and bizarre managerial practices could be better tolerated if you were making money. Sadly, almost NOBODY makes any money at this company. Honestly, I rare encountered anyone who made $50K salary which is a fairly humble figure at most mid-cap to large companies. The company operated in the stone age when it came to HR practices - there were no pay bands, compensation was a very taboo topic, every time a budget cut was necessary employees salary/benefits were the first thing to go. Bonuses, even when metrics were achieved, were often times not granted due to a variety of lame reasons. I could write book about the "cons", but in general, there was little development of employees or fair compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote integrity, fairness, and employee benefits. In other words: transform the culture. If you do this, they'll take care of you! This is being strategic and focusing more on the long term...Be slower to hire, vetting candidates thoroughly,and then develop/promote those individuals to encourage retention.

Great Place to Gain Valuable Experience

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fast initial promotions, give entry level manages progressive experience to put their resume. Great learning experience, during your initial training you are… Cons: Turn and burn attitude towards front line managers, it apprears as may career has progressed that they are not set… Advice to Senior Management: Frontline managers have valuable knowledge that needs to be harvested… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Amazing Company!

Transportation Manager (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: JB Hunt is an aggressively growing company that affords competent people the chance for quick advancement. The executive management team has set their… Cons: The company is internally segmented into four divisions that sometimes seem to… Advice to Senior Management: Cross train management in different divisions to bring the organization… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on J.B. Hunt.

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for J.B. Hunt CEO John N. Roberts III. All reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees.