Interactive Brokers
www.interactivebrokers.com Greenwich, CT 500 to 999 Employees

Avoid this at all costs if you value life outside of work

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

ProsDecent salary is how we get people in the door. Based on performance (and we are pretty fair about this), you can get a decent bonus. There are absolutely no meetings to attend, not any -- ever. So if you like to sit at your desk and just work (i.e., no politics) then that is a plus.

1. The hours are fine -- approximately 9am to 6pm.

2. They allow you $12 per day to order lunch on seamless web.com.

2. The work is fairly interesting IF you get assigned an interesting project.

3. They give you annual "cost of living" increases of 4% per year.
THIS IS WHY I AM STILL HERE AFTER 8 YEARS, FYI. It adds up -- quickly!

ConsBenefits, culture, and career. Trust me, you do NOT want to work at this place unless you are 21 and have no life. I got in early, and I'm almost done, but in clear conscience I must tell it like it is.

1. You are expected to be at your desk the entire time, even for lunch. You will be reprimanded if you are away from your desk for too long.

2. You do NOT socialize with your coworkers. Management walks by several times per day and WILL notice this and comment about getting back to work. It has gotten better in the 8 years that I have been here but this is not a place to go to make friends or to have any type of workplace camaraderie.

3. The benefits are horribly, horribly abysmally bad. You'd better not have any type of protracted injuries, for example, because if you need short-term disability (I did once) it provides a MAX of $500 per week for 26 WEEKS (since when is 26 weeks short-term?!!!). A normal policy would provide FULL salary for 6 weeks followed by HALF salary for a much longer term.

4. The benefits also suck for vacation -- you get 2 weeks (10 days) per year. You have to work there for 5 years (!!!) to get another 2 days (!!!). This is a sweat-shop, boys, plain and simple.

5. You will not be exposed to any of the inner-workings of the firm for many, many years. This is prudent on our part, but it also means that YOU WILL NOT LEARN ANYTHING about the brokerage or trading business that you couldn't get by working for 1 year at another firm. You are here to code, plain and simple.

Guys -- I got in early and got stock options and I'm almost done with my career. I have had highs and lows with this firm. But I look at some of the new people coming in now, and it's just pathetic that they don't know how much better it can be at other places. I have golden handcuffs -- they do not.

Look elsewhere and you'll thank me that you did.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone -- this is a money-making machine and they squeeze everything they can out of labor. It's paid me well and continues to do so.

pretty secretive and communist attitude, stingy with salary

Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Interactive Brokers

Pros: Learn to code ( it is a programing sweat shop) and… Cons: poor compensation no freedom to be creative Very autocratic the place has… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

It's not at all a social place to work !

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros: Great salary and benefits recession proof . Cons: No social life and team culture. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Interactive Brokers.

Worked for Interactive Brokers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Interactive Brokers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Interactive Brokers CEO Thomas Peterffy. All reviews posted anonymously by Interactive Brokers employees.