There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Great place to work!

I worked at IBM (more than 5 years)

Pros

State of the art technology and co-workers were very friendly and helpful.
Enjoyed the company charity events.
Well known and respected company.

Cons

Long commute.
Life/work not all that bad but could be better.
Some office politics. Just lookout for yourself.

Keep up the good work!

11975 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

HR will never help a staff member. IBM will work you into the ground and then make you redundant

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is around average but given the downturn expect IBM to use that to reduce wages for new hires.

If you are able to get into a role where you can spend time building networks and gaining new skills you can move into other areas of the business

Cons

Very cost motivated which takes away from innovation, staff development and and a caring attitude to workers and customers.

HR are quoted as telling new people managers that "it is now them and us"

IBM discriminates against white heterosexual males in obtaining parental leave.

IBM EXPECTS people to work 60+ hours per week and once they have a nervous breakdown they won't provide support or compensation, instead they work towards ways to either get the person to resign or make them redundant.

IBM wont pay for tea, coffee, milk, sugar or provide cups to staff

IBM removes benefits of employment without reference to staff and when HR are asked about it they want the staff member to prove that they ever had such a benefit.

I have seen IBM inappropriately charge clients for software licences that the client should not be fully responsible for. When the fraud was reported on two occasions I was told to forget about it.

- to HR - the H stands for Human.... don't forget it
    - to operational managers, you should remember that you can be held legally liable for increasing stress and overwork....suggest you make yourselves familiar with the WHS Act 2011
    - to execs stop delivering the good news and then getting your managers to hit the staff with bad news the next day.
    - to all execs and managers. Look after your clients first and your staff equally as important. When you make a client happy you get increased revenue and loyalty.

IBM stinks. They must be hiring people to leave good reviews here.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people are ok to work with.

Cons

Lots of lifers here.

If you are in engineering, salaries are below industry averages.

Constant layoffs. You're never safe, especially if you are a top performer.

Insulting raises and bonuses for many extra hours worked.

1st line management is incompetent. I had one good manager in my four years.

Boring products. IBM has a follower mentality and great at making product clones. They simply acquire or copy successful products and leverage the IBM brand recognition. As an example, my VP gave our product team 90 days to reproduce HP's cloud management offering just so we could have a similar product in the market and get a few customers. LAME!

Quit ,so someone with real creativity and customer empathy can be brought in, 'cause ex-sales people just don't cut it as CEO (Palmisano and now Rometty).

There are newer employer reviews for IBM