There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Edmonton, AB
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

11682 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Interesting place

Former Employee - DB2 QA  in  Markham, ON
    Former Employee - DB2 QA in Markham, ON

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place for a first co-op
    Very high salary compared to average
    Smart people to learn from
    Lots of students; depending on your team, you may get to work with students

Cons

Bureaucracy limits your potential but also minimizes the risk that you bring as an inexperienced student

Keep it up

Not too much fun to work in IBM

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator  in  Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Markham, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

work time is flexable and the current location closes to my home

Cons

Too many layers of management, the team belongs to both regional department as well as function department, the staff has to report to many different bosses, actually I should say countless bosses, they might be PDM Manager, GDF Pool Manager, Client account Manager, Project Manager, team lead and more

NA

There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!