IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB
Former Employee - IT Analyst in Edmonton, AB

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

Cons

The pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Care about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

13192 Other Employee Reviews for IBM (View Most Recent)

Spectacular!

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A very Flexible work environment. Never a shortage of training opportunities.

Cons

Common challenge of a large organization.

Great direction!

Great learning experience!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart and talented people in my team
    Good managers
    Great flexibility

Cons

Slow to climb up the ladder, just like any other large organization

None. I understand the issues in giving too much freedom to employees of large companies so "process" is required.

There are newer employer reviews for IBM