IBM

www.ibm.com

Do not work there more then a few years, any longer will hurt your career.

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

Proswork at home option, though that could be seen as a negative as could be working all hours of day and weekends

ConsThe pay was below market value, and either no raise, or 1 percent, well below inflation and cost of living. Bonus program not meaningful as well, so no incentive to exceed, as no reward in the end.

Moral is terrible, the people are good, just don't care as the life has been taken out of them. Company does not seem willing to try to increase it either, even the smallest things might help, but management would never get it approved if they wanted.

To difficult to focus on work, as company throws to many road blocks at employees, smallest change requires a lot of paperwork and process to get through.

To many new processes coming in, which are not properly implemented and poor tools. Process owners do not even understand the processes they are implementing.

Would not recommend to a person who wants a long term career with IBM, a few years is more then enough. Get some experience working on some projects or enterprise software and systems, and then move on. Anymore and you will be doing your career a disservice as no way to advance or even make enough to support your family over the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, I went to a new place, that cares, and makes the world of difference. Work way harder then I have in the last 5 or 6 years at IBM and I love it. Small things make the difference. Also reexamine your Pay, as it is woefully low for technical people, and when the economy turns around, IBM might no longer be able to attract local people, as they struggle right now. Can't do everything from India.

Java JIT Compiler Development: Interesting work, poor development prioritization

Software Developer - Java JIT Compiler (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Interesting problems for new development projects Very competent co-workers, can learn a… Cons: Poor defect/bug prioritization by team leads an management, especially near… Advice to Senior Management: Develop better employee performance evaluation that is more qualitative Give employees clearer understanding of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Relaxed but not so productive

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

I worked at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros: This review is for IBM Canada. Workplace is very laid back. People come in at 8:30 in the morning and leave around 4:30 in the… Cons: Not a highly intellectual environment. The work itself was bland and there was no strong motivation to really… Advice to Senior Management: Give employees reasons to be proud of what they are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on IBM.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!