There are newer employer reviews for Host Hotels & Resorts

Great Company, Management in my department wasn't that great

I worked at Host Hotels & Resorts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do get to meet and work with some great and demanding people. Clean upscale work environment. Easy access to the company from the entire DC region. Mr. Marriott is very easy going and had some great Christmas parties. Plenty of work and not sitting around wondering where is the work.

Cons

Pay was very small especially for this area and amount of work I did for them. I started working here after several years out of work due to the recession. I knew not to take this position because I didn't like the manager during the interview, but was desperate for a job and pushed into it by family members. The employees and manager had also told me about all the prior people working at this position that never stayed or were fired. Since my dismissal, they have gone through numerous employees and still cannot find someone ideal to work with them.

I had to deal with a manager that blamed all of her problems on her employees when she was the one creating the problems, was constantly in to work late and left early and only worked 3 or 4 days at the company a week. I look back and realize some of the things she did not do or had created problems with is actually quite funny, I realize how much better off I am now that I don't have to deal with her anymore.

Many, many times I was left to do a certain amount of work that was meant for 3 people. One small complaint from an employee about me being late for their appointment or anything else turned big with my manager even though I may have still been working with a VP or CEO on an issue and keeping from making it to the other problem. Department Christmas party was extremely embarrassing, management literally got drunk and was singing and such in a very well known restaurant while a few of us were sitting there wondering how much more time do we need to be there.

Being let go from this company was the best thing that could have happened to me by them. For a while I thought I could make a career with them. Since that period of time, I've found how much better other areas or businesses are as compared to Host. Better benefits, respect, health care, You have to look hard, but Host Health Care is not a cost effective and good service, it has many flaws in it. Management, you have your work cut out for you and I'm glad I'm not going to be a part of the fix

5 Other Employee Reviews for Host Hotels & Resorts (View Most Recent)

Host Hotes Values Its Associates

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Host Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Host Hotels & Resorts is the best job I've ever had in my nearly 20 years in the workforce. They have benefits above and beyond anything I've seen before, including excellent health benefits, hotel discounts, a wonderful 401K program with matching funds, and a stock purchase program, which allows employees to buy stock at a discounted price. The camaderie at Host is amazing. Senior management treats everyone as equal and valuable. I always feel valued. Host also makes the workplace fun with regular gatherings, called Connections, to allow associates in different departments a chance to interact and network. Host is all about respecting and valuing the employees/associates. I never felt so valued as an employee before.

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Keep up the good work!

Lots of entitlement and charm; very little accountability and integrity

I worked at Host Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Host Hotels & Resorts offers excellent salary packages and benefits. Their headquarters in Bethesda is centrally-located in the DC Metro area with adequate access to public transportation, restaurants and shopping.

Cons

Host Hotels & Resorts is all fluff and no substance. Top management lacks strong leadership skills. There is no accountability nor is honesty and integrity valued. Everything is centered on the bottom line and sealing the deal, regardless of associate sacrifices or complaints.

Review your core values and consider taking courses in leadership development. Nothing is worse than having a carrot dangling in your face with the hope that relief is just around the corner. Too many top performers are being overlooked due to incompetent and fearful management who lack leadership skills and abilities.

There are newer employer reviews for Host Hotels & Resorts