There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Solid company with great opportunity to improve internal processes and people management.

Current Employee - Category Analyst  in  Denver, CO (US)
Current Employee - Category Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Fantastic portfolio of products and commitment to excellent products. The can do attitude of the employees is truly exceptional and exciting to be a part of.

Cons

Unwillingness to adopt more current people management practices in regard to time off, work-life balance, and telecommuting. Salaries do not seem to be as competitive either.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Hormel (View Most Recent)

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Travel -you will definitely have to relocate
    Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college.
    Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

Cons

I don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory.

Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

I don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

Not a good position to accept if you want to do real engineering without a promotion

Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer
    Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Hormel has great pay and benefits. They are accommodating to days needed off. They will try their best to make the company feel more close knit than most major companies do.

Cons

The position of maint. engineer is not an engineering position as they make it out to be, it is a glorified supervisor. Maintenance is often singled out for any issues resulting in lost manufacturing time even though equipment performance is not the issue. Advancement is not as quick as they make it out to be, they tell you that after a year there will be advancement available to the engineering division but that is not true.

Let new people know what to really expect for their future within the company. Everybody comes in looking to advance to something more challenging based on what they were told in the interview process but become discouraged when they realize that advancement cannot be expected within the first 2-3 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!