There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Good Job for what it is, but a strong company

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Pay was good
Company car
Lots of Perks ie cell phone, home cable paid for, and good benefits
good training and continuing training
Great people-management is nice and your co-workers are good (some people suck but that's everywhere you go)
You get to travel

Cons

The future growth in the sales program is a bit limited. If I were to have stayed with Hormel in sales I would still be doing what I was doing when I first started. There is no difference between an entry sales position and a senior sales position except for the pay and territory size. If you have aspirations of moving into corporate be prepared to live in Austin (no not texas, which would be cool), Minnesota and go to Torgies everyday and live next to your boss. There should be the plant in Austin with corporate in Minneapolis where there is a good living situation away from the job.

I think management was great however there should be more employee involvment and more understanding of women and minorities. Hormel is somewhat whitebread, and wheat tastes good too ;-) Overall I liked my experience with hormel and I would recommend that someone start off their career with them.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Hormel (View Most Recent)

The people at Hormel want to groom you from the ground up to work in the company your whole life.

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

-The benefits are great
    -The pay is decent
    -The people you work with are awesome most times
    -There is tremendous opportunity for advancement within the company
    -Due to the small size you are given a lot of opportunity to really show off your skill, and shine to management
    - The training is really great, they want to train you to make you better so that you can get promoted within the company
    - There are many travel requirements (pro if you like to travel)
    - Nice, midwestern people seem to genuinely care about your best interests in most situations

Cons

- long...long...LONG hours
    - due to the size and the way the organization is set up, there aren't very many people to work in each of its' facets, meaning that everyone has to take on more individually to make the machine run
    - If you work in a sales capacity, you have to move around A LOT (which can be a con if you have a family or a life and want to stay somewhere long), and if you're not in a sales capacity, you usually get stuck in a tiny midwestern town near one of the plants (not an exciting life in most cases)

- Calculated risk is good, but it seems as if this company rarely takes risks at all. I think taking more risks and putting the company out there would help it see more success day to day
    - A lot of the products need to be looked at seriously and updated. Mediocre sales are good, but something new and innovative could help Hormel improve

Hit and miss

I worked at Hormel

Pros

I had a great experience while working at Hormel for the most part. The managers there are somewhat helpful but in order to succeed you need to be self motivated.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides about working at Hormel is the fact that they will not hesitate to move you around the country if you are promoted.

I think the leaders at Hormel need to be more hands on. They give you some direction on the job but do not provide you with enough incentive and motivation.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!