Home Instead Senior Care

www.homeinstead.com
  www.homeinstead.com
There are newer employer reviews for Home Instead Senior Care

Fulfilling, but can be exhausting.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Martinsburg, WV (US)
Current Employee - Caregiver in Martinsburg, WV (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work for an excellent office staff (Martinsburg, WV), employees are recognized for hard work regularly. They are very accommodating and notice the little things. Never have I worked for a company so connected with its employees, sending cards for every holiday, even a sympathy card after I had to put my fur baby to sleep. These little things mean a lot in this kind of work, and makes you feel like a valued member of this team.

Cons

The downside has nothing to do with the company, but with this line of work in general. I believe it takes a special kind of person to do this work, and it's easy to get burned out if you aren't careful.

234 Other Employee Reviews for Home Instead Senior Care (View Most Recent)

A team atmosphere with a lot of praise and rewards for being a team player.

Current Employee - Personal Care Aide in Carson City, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Care Aide in Carson City, NV (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to meet the needs of elderly and their loved ones. A feeling of making a difference. Satisfaction when the clients are happy with a job well done and voice the gratitude.

Cons

A lot of travel and wear and tear on your vehicle. Sometimes the hours are not as many as I would like. The cost of gas cuts into the paycheck.

Arrange appointments so that the down time is not so far between that it kills off your day. Split shifts are not enough hours to keep good employees around.

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clients of this franchise get great care. There are a lot of excellent, dedicated caregivers working here. The company offers paid training, health insurance and dental, and a matching 401K. The office is decent and you are given the tools needed to do the job. Clients of this franchise will get good service.

Cons

Cons: Owner and management of this company treat the caregivers with kid gloves, but office staff is micro-managed. Top management records every mistake employees make, no matter how trivial, and holds it against them. There is daily pressure to reach performance quotas not mentioned in the job description (not for a sales position because sales positions do not exist here). Such pressure forces you to compete with co-workers you would rather work with as a team. There is never any praise for a job well done given by the owner to any of the office staff, at least not that I ever heard. You only get a half hour for lunch.

Advice to Management: Stop counting every mistake and instead focus only on the truly important ones. The way you do things now, you simply wear people down. Your high-pressure tactics and condescending management style only make employee performance worse. Consider taking some classes or going to seminars on how to successfully motivate employees and keep them happy. Motivated, happy employees perform better.

There are newer employer reviews for Home Instead Senior Care