Hewlett-Packard

Changes are painful

Current Employee - Storageworks Division
Current Employee - Storageworks Division

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Good pay and decent benfits. Great people to work with and very professional environment. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Goals are set at unrealistic levels and the only feedback that I recieve from management is when I have failed to submit one of the ever changing manual reports that I have to turn in weekly. No way to truly track my performance since the system shows deals at incorrect dollar amounts and sometimes fails to post alltogether. Doing my job day to day is continually made harder by the systems that have been put in place to supposedly make everything streamlined. Making the sale is just the first step in an unbelievably complicated process for processing orders.

Set realistic goals and get a handle on performance tracking. Provide an easier process for interfacing with customers and resellers. Value individual contributors.

9335 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

Management needs to listen to their people

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Working with some of the most talented engineers and professionals in the computer industry is one of the highlights of my day.

Cons

Management often makes decisions in the face of compelling data provided by their people. When things don't work out, they push people harder to pull out all the stops to recover from their bad decision. Management refuses to acknowledge their bad decisions yet they seem to continue getting promoted and rewarded while the people delivering the products are over-worked and had benefits and pay cuts while watching coworkers get 'managed out' by relative performance ratings which is really just a workforce reduction in disguise.

Start listening to your people. Start taking care of your people. Start appreciating your people. Without them, you are nothing. You can't outsource everyone.

You Manage Your Career

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Work From Home (Teleworker) - go to work in your PJs!;
    HP is a great company, continues to be one of the best in the IT industry;
    Very good company to have on your resume;
    Team I work in is good - in general people are good to work with. Majority of us work from home, so I feel that there is less office politics - no watercooler to gossip around.
    Benefits are ok (I don't have much comparison, but not much stands out)

Cons

No pay increases for the past 5 years. Pay cuts affecting EVERYONE last year, will never be restored. Benefits are being cut as well - for example, RSP matching was lowered. They are cutting everything. Cost cutting everywhere. No gives, all takes. They are just very focused on cutting/taking at the moment. There does not seem to be any saving grace - no new training, no new innovation, no new 'wow' products, nothing to engage the employee.
    Right now, the mantra is "be happy you have a job, don't ask for anything more".

While I understand the need to keep costs down to maintain profitability, management needs to value their employees more and start putting more focus on innovation and other ways to increase profit other than cutting every single benefit. HP is a good company on the books right now, but where will you be if all of your great employees leave for better pay and benefits? There is no balance on that right now, employees are definitely feeling shortchanged. You need to provide a solid plan that you can commit to, to show employees that there is something on the horizon to hope for.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard