There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Great while it lasted

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

Great name recognition - the company was a great starting point. There were a lot of people that had spent their entire working life there.

Cons

Sometimes it was too big - too many layers of management at times made it tedious to get some projects completed.

Advice to Management

So far things are too big to change quickly without possibly 'breaking' a lot of longstanding ingrained policies and procedures.

reviews filtered by

HP - Once a great company

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer

I worked at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

- HP still has some of the finest employees in the electronic industries
     - I know there are still some middle managers who treat their employees with fairness and respect.
     - Entry-level engineers can gain valuable experience - plus it looks good to have HP on your resume

Cons

- Since Lew Platt's departure, the HP way has eroded and the company is a shell of what it once was. There is a constant stream of cutting benefits and freezing salaries while compensation continues to increase for senior managment.
     - The morale at this company is low. It used to be that employees stayed working till the wee hours of the morning because they had a sense of ownership and loyalty. Now, as soon as 5 or 6 o'clock arrives, the parking lot empties.
     - I am saddened that a company which I admired so much and where I was valued has changed so dramtically for the worst .

Advice to Management

You can't run an R&D operation as you would a sales force. Suscessively increasing ranking cut-off points creates an atmosphere of fear and distrust between individual contributors. As a result, teamwork is not encouraged and creative solutions decrease.
    The only metric for success seems to be the stock price but I believe senior managment is sacrificing long term success for short term gains. I agree with the other posts in that there will be a mass exodus when the economy improves.

Needs a new CEO and CIO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard

Pros

HP had a great culture and still has a wide portfolio of products. There are lots of great people working at HP. The company has loads of potential.

Cons

Engineers are not valued at all at HP. Pay-for-performance does not apply to individual contributors. The CEO has a single skill (cutting costs) and a single goal (maximizing his compensation).

Advice to Management

IT is an internal service organization; IT should not be driving the strategy of the company. Wake up and realize that you are running a technology company!

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard