Hewlett-Packard

www.hp.com
  www.hp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Upper management has totally lost site that the people in the trenchs are the money makers and need to be supported.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC (US)
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with are great. I have built some long lasting relationships.

Cons

Don't expect to get a raise without fighting for it. Any training you take will not be approved unless it relates to your current position.

The stock holders pay your check but the people in the trenches are the ones building the networks, servers and workstations that make the stock go up. So please remember us when you get a big bonus.

9295 Other Employee Reviews for Hewlett-Packard (View Most Recent)

A big company that gets a job done for the customer

Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Presales Technical Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Hewlett-Packard full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stability, compensation at higher levels, variety of choices for career path

Cons

Lack of innovation, high people turnover, incompetent top-level management, too much bureaucracy, too many layers of management

Streamline processes, get rid of old school inert people, reduce the depth of management chain

Self-service Corporation

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I worked at Hewlett-Packard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good benefits such as various health plans, 401k, vacation, stock-options, holidays, etc. Interestingly enough, HP does not designate sick days.
    - Various training opportunities. However, be aware that it is a self-service environment and it is left to the individual to carve out time for training.

Cons

- After being told specifically that there would be no HP lay-offs for the particular client for which I and others were assigned, two months later we were, in fact, laid-off. After reviewing the list of positions and ages of the individuals involved in the lay-off, it is apparent that it was definitely age-related as the avg age of the employees was 50. In addition, within 6 weeks after my last working day, I was contacted by an outside recruiter regarding a 3 - 6 mon contract position for the very same job I held with HP. I even confirmed it was for my former HP functional manager and performing the same job duties. Very disappointing...
    - Be aware that HP is very much a self-service corporation. As a self-starter, this posed no challenge for me, but may for an individual who is used to having an HR representative onsite, administrative support, etc.

It is a sad state of affairs when an international, billion-dollar corporation finds itself in such financial difficulties that the only resort is to lay-off employees. If the end result is to streamline operations and/or reorganize business units/processes, it is understandable. Unfortunately, the decision to reduce HP's workforce is clearly due to the ineptitude of senior management, as well as a lack of foresight and strategic planning.

There are newer employer reviews for Hewlett-Packard