Hertz

www.hertz.com
  www.hertz.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hertz

THIS IS JUST A JOB, NOTHING ELSE

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tampa, FL (US)
Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its a good job to have right out of college, but try not to get stuck here. Employee Benefits are good, especially for those who do not have their own insurance.

Cons

Where should I start? A majority of the customers are rude! The pay is low, Expect to work 50+ hours on a weekly basis, so if you do not want a social life, this job is perfect. Turnover is extremely high so you will always be working at a branch that is understaffed . The insurance replacements are the worst. . You have to clean cars wearing your work clothes, the hours are long, and picking up people can be very dangerous, especially for women. The company only cares about making money, you are taught how to deceive people.

Hire more people and actually care about your employees

1764 Other Employee Reviews for Hertz (View Most Recent)

NO Management or Training

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Hertz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learn Vital aspects of the rental car business

Cons

My first day I walked in and there was no manager. The guy that hired me quit two days before I started and no one bothered to tell me. I trained myself and then once I got through training and did the requirments they would not promote me and brought in some kid with no college degree to be my new manager.

Hire people with skills and education and promote them when they do a good job.

Try to find something else

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Hertz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Decent benefits
    - Easy to obtain employment with Bachelor's Degree, and it is difficult to get fired
    - If you meet sales goals, promotion to Branch Manager can happen quickly. Hertz likes to promote from within.

Cons

- Expect to work 50+ hours per week, including Saturdays. Don't expect to take a lunch break, and taking time off for any reason is highly discouraged.
    - Only way to obtain pay raise is through promotions, which are awarded solely based on sales goals. Any other value that you bring to the company will not be considered. This would include but would not be limited by: providing excellent customer service, being reliable, working extra hours, cleaning cars well or at high frequency.
    - Management will not recognize good work outside of meeting sales incentives, in general. Non-monetary incentives for things like providing good customer service exist, but will not be awarded, regardless of eligibility. Periodically, upper management will focus on one non-sales aspect of the business to focus on. If you fall behind on the focus item, you will be punished; if you do well in that aspect, you will not be rewarded in any way.
    - You will wash cars wearing dress clothes. At many locations, car cleaning location is just an uncovered area, like an alleyway, with a water hose and vacuum cleaner.
    - Company philosophy is to "do more with less". Constant layoffs at corporate offices, which means less support to resolve various issues. At rental locations, reduction of workforce is achieved by not replacing terminated employees. Supplies needed to complete tasks are routinely not available, for example, cleaning supplies to clean rental cars.
    - Expect to run a location by yourself during the most busy times. A list of all that needs to be done by yourself on the busiest days: cleaning vehicles, answering phones whenever they ring, closing the location to pick up and return customers, working the rental counter, inspecting vehicles, doing routine business paperwork.
    - Never count on a bonus at this company. The incentive structure changes pretty much every quarter. Hertz will use every trick that they can think of to reduce bonuses.
    - You will get yelled at a lot at this job. Everything from complaints about dirty or damaged vehicles to complaints about billing policies.

Hire enough people at locations to get the job done. Treat your lower-level employees better; they're people, not just numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Hertz