Health Management Associates
www.hma.com Naples, FL 5000+ Employees

Burke Whitman is doing a good job. It'll be interesting to see if he can turn this company around.

Analyst (Former Employee)
Naples, FL (US)

I worked at Health Management Associates

ProsThe corporate staff is so small that one gets a chance to know all the players. In some departments (I guess depending on the manager), developing their employees is top priority. HMA has probably the best CFO training program in the industry.

ConsAccountants run the company. Therefore, in order to increase margins, they customarily cut costs. Over the years, decreased in spending in infrastructure has come back to haunt the company. What used to be their competitive advantage, Information Systems, has become a burden.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside the industry for innovations. There comes a point in time that you can't admit everyone under the sun and that payers will decrease payments. If HMA seeks to be the #1 provider of health care services in term of quality, then they should leverage their name nationwide, especially in the Florida and Mississippi markets.

Why start all the initiatives and spend all that money if not to build a recognizable brand? The days of "every market is different" excuse is over. Sole-source markets will be very competitive soon, if not already.

Gain stability. Do things well. Build a brand. Leverage the heck out of it.

HMA we make sure Executives get what they want no matter how wrong they maybe.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros: In my particular case proximity to my home is the primary reason why I stay there. The pay is decent as well. If it weren't… Cons: Medical Insurance is far below average and they actually require that you have most or all of your medical care in an HMA facility, severely… Advice to Senior Management: Scrap just about everything you do. IS at the corporate level is a major culprit here. Throw them all out and start over, might be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Very poor management

I have been working at Health Management Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Will not be a boring day in the office, able… Cons: Very high turnover of personal, due to lack of vision… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Health Management Associates.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Health Management Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Health Management Associates CEO Gary D. Newsome. All reviews posted anonymously by Health Management Associates employees.