Burke Whitman is doing a good job. It'll be interesting to see if he can turn this company around.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Naples, FL (US)
Former Employee - Analyst in Naples, FL (US)

I worked at Health Management Associates

Pros

The corporate staff is so small that one gets a chance to know all the players. In some departments (I guess depending on the manager), developing their employees is top priority. HMA has probably the best CFO training program in the industry.

Cons

Accountants run the company. Therefore, in order to increase margins, they customarily cut costs. Over the years, decreased in spending in infrastructure has come back to haunt the company. What used to be their competitive advantage, Information Systems, has become a burden.

Look outside the industry for innovations. There comes a point in time that you can't admit everyone under the sun and that payers will decrease payments. If HMA seeks to be the #1 provider of health care services in term of quality, then they should leverage their name nationwide, especially in the Florida and Mississippi markets.

Why start all the initiatives and spend all that money if not to build a recognizable brand? The days of "every market is different" excuse is over. Sole-source markets will be very competitive soon, if not already.

Gain stability. Do things well. Build a brand. Leverage the heck out of it.

Other Reviews for Health Management Associates

HMA we make sure Executives get what they want no matter how wrong they maybe.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at Health Management Associates

Pros

In my particular case proximity to my home is the primary reason why I stay there. The pay is decent as well. If it weren't 10 minutes from my house I'd definitely be looking for something else. The people that work in this area for this company are typically very cordial, the management is not. I'm really trying on this one, but it's really a tough question.

Cons

Medical Insurance is far below average and they actually require that you have most or all of your medical care in an HMA facility, severely limiting your choices and options regarding healthcare. On top of this most everything is either a $250 deductible or $500. The 401k is held with a historically poor performing albeit low fee management company. In 5 years I've lost 11%. They match a paltry 3%. If you want average or better systems to help you with your job, look elsewhere. HMA uses the latest from 1985 to run their entire enterprise. You'll love working in accounting and calling I.S. to run the simplest of reports where you needed all of 1 page of information yet 300 pages print at your printer (if it's working) an hour later. The pay is average, but don't worry you'll be sending it back in your $105 bi-weekly copay for insurance. It pays to ask management questions, you'll reap great rewards in laughter as their answers clearly shows they're far less competent than most of their employees. There's really just too much to list here.

Scrap just about everything you do. IS at the corporate level is a major culprit here. Throw them all out and start over, might be the best answer at this point. They have become the seasoned politicians looking to make their jobs easier while at the same time making sure they keep it. Little regard is held in what systems may affect users or what capability those systems may have in use. If the system is price comparable, is easy for corporate I.S. to manage, and interfaces with existing ancient mainframes you can bet HMA will be using it. It won't matter if it's lacking the features of most of it's competitors or if it's barely scalable. Corporate I.S. has turned into a department looking out only for themselves damning the very employees and the company they work for. Executives have devised a plan which they think is very effective, I call it Officer Chairs. If an officer of a hospital isn't performing to standard at one facility they move him to a Hospital which is performing well and move the officer at that hospital to a poor performing one. What exactly does this accomplish? From what I can tell the company has to fit a $25,000 bill every time they want to move someone. Little changes in the grand scheme of things because the officer is still doing whatever corporate executives desire him/her to do. Never do they look at the possibility that it was indeed someone at corporate whom said officer was reporting to that was actually making the mistakes bringing down the Hospital. One might wonder with all these issues regarding corporate level decisions if anyone has ever been held accountable for their mistakes. Well you can stop wondering, executives are untouchable at HMA. A recipe for disaster if I've ever heard one.

Last but not least, HMA needs to really look at where it's competition is if they want to stay competitive. Twenty years ago you could run a hospital the way HMA does, but things have changed drastically. Burke if you want this company to succeed it's time to get rid of just about every executive that has been there over 2 years. New blood and new ideas are about the only thing that's going to rock the boat enough to get it off the shore.

Great coworkers

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Naples, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Naples, FL (US)

I worked at Health Management Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

the best thing about working for this company is coworkers...a lot of hard working staff and leadership team members.

Cons

the lack of corporate communication and support made it difficult to successfully meet departmental goals

leadership at local facilities worked very hard to provide great care for the community...keep up the good work

There are newer employer reviews for Health Management Associates.

Worked for Health Management Associates? Contribute to the Community!