There are newer employer reviews for HauteLook

Fast growing company yet no room to advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at HauteLook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Occasional catered lunches.
- Fast growing company means stability in a tough job market.
- Pretty good insurance packages
- More organized than other companies I've worked at
- A starter job that gets your foot in the door of fashion.
- Not a lot of overtime is needed overall.

Cons

- Not much room for advancement. I'm not just speaking as a disgruntled former employee either, my team was close and honest with eachother about our concerns and we all wanted out.
- Nepotism runs rampant. People with less experience and skills will surpass you due to being hired by their friends. Honest hard work goes unrewarded.
- Pay is well below industry standards. I saw this as a fast growing startup with room for advancement so I overlooked it but they aren't a startup anymore and I like to think it's due to the hard work of people like me who had been there early helping the company take off. We all celebrated each round of investments we got with fake smiles, because employees don't see a dime of it outside of congratulatory cupcakes. We were bought by Nordstrom and still no change.
- High turnover rate. With the combination of low pay and no personal growth, people leave frequently. This also means that the company is mostly run by really young unaccomplished people.
- Vacation and sick time is not adequate.
- Work was boring and not fulfilling.

Do a company wide audit of salaries and actually measure them against industry standards. You'll see that you fall short.

39 Other Employee Reviews for HauteLook (View Most Recent)

You can be sure many of those 5star reviews are HL sponsored and not a sincere attempt to describe the true culture

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

wish I could give 2 1/2 stars because its not the worst place to work. The people are generally nice. Straight 9-6 not a ton of overtime needed. Company has workplace outings and employee meetings which are a sincere attempt at creating a open, fun team oriented environment.

Cons

Company was bought by Nordstrom and there was a level of unspoken tension about the acquisition that made the work environment a bit oppressive when I was there. The pay is on the lower side and consequently there is a lot of less experienced employees running the place (probably because of the pay) which makes for a slightly juvenile workplace. There isn't a lot of experienced mentors for the younger employees.

The worst part in my opinion is they do not really value, attract or retain really talented people and the best talent systematically leaves, (one way or another.) I worked in the creative dept which is basically a production mill. My boss was s a competent manager but definitely towing the company line of mediocrity for the sake of a job. Really talented Photographers, Designers will not be happy here and will not last long. I noticed this in other departments as well as an unusually amount of respected employees announced they where moving on. Most of the people that I worked with have gone on to bigger and better things as well.

Bottom Line:
     the turnover track record speaks for itself. I've never worked a place where I've seen so many people voluntarily leave in such a short time. This is a starter job, stop gap or place to settle. Anyone with strong talent and ambition know what your getting yourself into

hire, listen to and pay for talent

Good place for experience, not career

Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Member Care Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at HauteLook

Pros

Not micro managed, very relaxed work environment and staff works well together. Fun opportunities for earning credits and lunches and paid time off

Cons

Same work every day can get mundane, customers can be really rude and mean, normally a fast paced environment which can be stressful

There are newer employer reviews for HauteLook