HESS International Educational Group

www.hess.com.tw
  www.hess.com.tw
There are newer employer reviews for HESS International Educational Group

Great for the right kind of person

Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Hsinchu (Taiwan)
Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Hsinchu (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Hess takes great care to get the employees to Taiwan safely and legally, Great Pay, Good Training, Lots of room to grow in the company, once you get the hang of the job it's a lot of fun,

Cons

6 day work week, your coworkers are some of your only friends (could be a pro, but wasn't for me) the job is VERY overwhelming at first

Personalize your treatment of the employees. I was stuck in my 4th location choice

Mar 12, 2014English Human Resources Department

Thank you for your review of HESS.

We understand that moving to a new country to start a new job in a new culture can be quite overwhelming, and we do our best to help make that transition as
... More

29 Other Employee Reviews for HESS International Educational Group (View Most Recent)

A good experience to have, but not a long-term career for most people

Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Qidu (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Qidu (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Thorough training
    -Start-up loan
    -Lots of support getting set up in a new country
    -Assistance with things like visas, leases, and healthcare
    -Opportunity to meet and make friends with a lot of great people
    -Chance to learn Chinese language and culture
    -Taiwan is a fabulous place, simply put. Something to appeal to everyone, and never boring. The Taiwanese people are extremely friendly and helpful as well.
    -Often adorable kids
    -Decent curriculum and lesson plans provided
    -Very large and successful company offers a certain measure of security and built-in support network
    -Taiwan has very good nationalized healthcare.
    -Looks good on a resume.

Cons

-One's experience working for HESS is VERY dependent on which branch you work for. I was fortunate enough that my main branch was exceptionally good, but having substituted at others and talked to friends I know that lots of other teachers are not so lucky.
    -Scheduling issues. While I understand it is impossible and inadvisable for any school to cater schedules to the teacher's every whim, HESS is not good about consulting with teachers regarding even very reasonable requests.
    -Working a full time buxiban (afternoons and/or evenings only) OR a full time kindergarten ( 8am-4pm) schedule is fine. The split schedule (9-11:30 kindergarten and returning to buxiban in afternoon/at night for more classes) creates a 12-hour day without 12 hours of pay.
    -Work for me seemed to come in fits and starts- that is, periods of overwork followed by periods with very few hours.
    -There can be A LOT of unpaid work, mostly for things like performances. These performances can be extremely stressful and teachers are expected to have drama, dance, and choreography skills.
    -Teachers are expected to function as more than teachers. Teaching kindergarten is essentially nannying, and at buxiban one often gets the sense that entertaining is more important than teaching. If you are struggling with a poorly-behaved student, then you might as well add "psychologist" to your job title.
    -Teachers often take the rap for things that are not their responsibility, such as return rates- that is, we are held responsible for students not signing up for the next class or certain activities despite the fact that the reasons usually have nothing to do with the teachers.
    -No real benefits to speak of.
    -No paid vacation
    -Very limited upward mobility
    -Hourly pay is good, but when you put it all together it is simply not very much at all by American standards.
    -Administrative incompetence, real or feigned. Things very clearly outlined in the policy book often seem to come as a "surprise" to office management.
    -No incentive to make the leap from being a "good-enough" teacher to an excellent one.

-Expand opportunities within the company for growth and advancement for foreigners. As a company that bills itself as an English school offering international experiences, it's surprising how limited these opportunities are.
    -Either increase hourly pay or increase number of hours per employee.
    -Paid vacation would be a great idea.
    -Offer incentives for excellence.
    -A contract completion bonus would put you on par with ESL in Korea
    -Stop penalizing teachers for things beyond their control.

Mar 12, 2014English Human Resources Department

Thank you for your review of HESS.

Teachers are expected to do more than teach English, and we try to be as upfront about this as possible on our website and during the application, interview
    ... More

Hess took good care of me both professionally and personally as I adapted to living and working in a foreign country.

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Hsinchu (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Hsinchu (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent pay and opportunity for raises/promotion. Helps extensively with complications employees face when living in a foreign country, such as language barriers, paperwork, finding housing and transportation, etc. Hess offers a good teaching program that really seems to work for kids and teachers alike.

Cons

living and working in a foreign country can be very challenging. Hess charges a hefty fee for breaking contract, so make sure you really want to live in Taiwan for a year before signing. Employee has few options regarding city of employment and classes to teach, at least in the first year. When resigning, employee preference counts for more.

Mar 12, 2014English Human Resources Department

Thank you for your review of HESS. We value your feedback and are happy to hear that the support we offer is appreciated.

We would be happy to answer any further questions you have about HESS

There are newer employer reviews for HESS International Educational Group