There are newer employer reviews for Google

A great summer software engineering internship at Google

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in Google's offices can best be described as "college-like." It's about as far from the Dilbert-esque corporate boredom as you could possibly get. The food was great, and while I stayed in the office for long hours every day, my work schedule didn't feel oppressive to me, simply because it was such a nice work environment. The meals, microkitchens, and enjoyment of just taking a break and walking around the building and finding random pool tables, porch swings, and napping pods made staying in the office an enjoyable experience--not to mention the challenging and interesting project that I was working on.

Cons

My biggest complaint with Google is linked to the college-like atmosphere--there is not enough space in the Mountain View office in which I worked. Our room had 16 people in it when there should have been no more than nine. To someone like me who is easily distracted by extraneous noise and conversation, I found it challenging to filter out the distractions of overhearing so many other conversations. I found it necessary to wear ear buds with good noise insulation, and to pipe white noise through my earphones, in order to concentrate well enough to be productive.

2460 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Google is a great place to work

I have been working at Google

Pros

Work ambiance
    Opportunities
    Smart people
    Great product
    Great perks

Cons

Promotion process quite unfair
    Bureaucracy
    Politics
    Lack of design spirit

World-class co-workers.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Google is the most fun and rewarding place I've ever worked. There are cool problems to solve and you're encouraged to solve them. Engineers get tons of freedom to do the right thing and the tools and infrastructure to support you are second to none.

Beyond that, Google generally seems interested in keeping their employees happy and healthy -- for the most part, work hours and workload are sane. It's easy to eat healthy food. There are on-site gyms in most locations, or at least subsidized health club memberships.

Cons

As at any big company, there are political battles. Sometimes grungy engineering work gets ignored in the face of shinier/sexier stuff (but I would say that is well-known, hard to fix, and actively being worked on).

Keep trusting your employees and keep pushing the bounds of what's possible.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!