There are newer employer reviews for Google

It's OK as a contractor.

Former Employee - Business Specialist  in  Portland, OR (US)
Former Employee - Business Specialist in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Google as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, enthusiasm, lots of free Google stuff (bags, jackets, shirts, etc.). Cool technology - new phones, tablets and computers to use and test on the job. It's exciting to work on things that you know people use and love.

Cons

You kind of have to drink the kool-aid. So enthusiasm over new acquisitions can be over the top. You've got use and LOVE (or pretend to) new projects like Wave, Google+, Google Local, etc. As a contractor, you're definitely on the bottom of the heap.

Be more transparent about the length and scope of our projects. My position was supposed to be 3 months, but lasted about 8 (not complaining about that necessarily) but slowly morphed into sales. When it ended, it was sudden. No warning - just 10 people called into a meeting (our whole team) and told this was the last day so turn in our equipment.

2460 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Awesome company to work for

I worked at Google

Pros

Open culture , challenging work, great colleagues

Cons

I did not feel there were any

Fun, learned a lot

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Google full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Google there is free food and smart people. The company was large enough that the benefit plans were good.

Cons

I thought the culture was a little alpha-male dominant and could edge out the quieter types. Depending on your manager there could be very little interest in your promotions, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!