There are newer employer reviews for Gildan Activewear

A public company, run like a family business

I have been working at Gildan Activewear

Pros

There is a lot of training
Coworkers are great persons
Salaries are a bit higher than average for the country

Cons

Upper management get crazy when something goes a bit stray
Big guys still react as if the company is a small one, when anything could destroy it, but when you get bigger, law of averages take over

13 Other Employee Reviews for Gildan Activewear (View Most Recent)

Excellent environment to learn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly international company, excellent place to learn, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.

Cons

Company has grown very quickly and some of the work processes still have some catching up to do.

A grown-up family business with obviously inadequate staff

Current Employee - IT Administrator in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - IT Administrator in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think the only thing I like is the office location!

Cons

Where to start? I have joined 1 year ago and I can't believe I am still there. I should have refused the offer since I was so unimpressed by the whole hiring process, started with the HR manager not having read my Resume and making me feel inadequate (why did she call me for an interview then?) and then making a low-ball offer a few days afterward which was increased by 20% upon my obvious counteroffer (hint, hint! Do not take right away their first offer!).
    When joined I stayed without a workstation for 15 days, and working in IT you may understand what handicap that is. Basically I was paid to do nothing for 2 weeks.
    When fully setup I understood quickly the mess I ended up into. The company has grown too fast and their processes are frankly slightly above of non-existing. The worst part is that the management does not fully realize what that means and think that as long as profit comes the company is doing well (I witnessed this way of thinking from the beginning and it has not changed so far). It shows how management is composed by non-trained people who have no long-term vision at all. How those are selected into key position is no mystery once you understand that this company is manager as a family business. Quick and dirty style. Grab and go.
    One of the most pathetic areas is the e-commerce site (for the US market) which is a joke. Fortunately we deal with low-cost merchandise, so customers expectations are luckily low.
    Frequent overtime is requested to cope with unreasonable request or expectations from incompetent managers. Politics take you a long way in this environment, like in many other companies based in QC, unfortunately (and I am a french Canadian: I just do not like to hide my head under the ground).
    I have been on the look to move away for a while and I am glad I am signing a new contract soon. I definitely do not recommend this company to anyone.

Remove incompetent personnel from all areas, from HR to upper management. Unfortunately presently those are the ones setting the bar so low for the company. Productive, optimistic employee are frustrated and all on the look to move away. Do not settle for this mediocrity: the company can do much, much better than this and profits are now only a fraction of what they can be.

There are newer employer reviews for Gildan Activewear