There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Great internship experience

I worked at General Mills as an intern

Pros

Great culture and intern training

Cons

Great summer internship experience but office located not convenient

591 Other Employee Reviews for General Mills (View Most Recent)

It's a living.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician  in  Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I have been working at General Mills full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ample days off for technicians, decent benefits and environment. Very transparent in regards to changes that occur and what is happening in the company. Management treats the technicians decently. Low stress and I always know what time I am going home.

Cons

Low starting pay with a rigid advancement process that causes the best people to leave because they can't live on the wages while waiting to advance. I would not move into any role other than a technician because you are basically a slave to the plant. I see those in support roles coming in on weekends and constantly staying late, plus they are on call 24/7! This company tells new hires they emphasize a work-life balance but it seems it's only for those of us who are on the floor making product.

Cut back on the acronyms, it is beyond ridiculous. I am surprised we even speak English at the plant instead of uttering two and three letter acronyms to each other in order to communicate. Also, stop bribing people with "incentives" to donate to United Way in order for the company to look good to the community. Giving should come from the heart, not from a desire to get a little more time off from work.

International is a World away from Minneapolis

I have been working at General Mills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with great brands
    Generally, most folks are less aggressive than in other places

Cons

HR does not do a very good job at communicating / managing changes
    International employees do not have the same opportunities / benefits as USRO folks. Case in point - expatriate packages differ when you're coming from an International market location vs. Minneapolis.
    People can be nice but sometimes, you need to read between the lines - can be passive aggressive
    The work in International can be mind-numbing: lots of fire-fighting due to lack of people but not enough growth in term of experience
    Promotion / career planning in International is non-existent.

Please fix your HR policies and your HR team in International - so many people are leaving because of unclear policies, unfriendly / unsympathetic HR team who do not know how to handle people.

There are newer employer reviews for General Mills

Worked for General Mills? Contribute to the Community!