GameStop
2.7 of 5 1,065 reviews
www.GameStop.com Grapevine, TX 5000+ Employees

Great Customers, Horrible Leadership

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

ConsNO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans.
After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers.
Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures"
Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

Experiences as part-time and full-time management.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Sugar Land, TX (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than a year

Pros: The work can be fun. Talking about games, playing them, doing your research...if you love games, it's… Cons: As you move up, the compensation doesn't match the effort put forth. I was doing work as lower management that was allotted to positions above… Advice to Senior Management: Hire from within the company, don't degrade and belittle your employees, and work on fuller staffing at the stores. Many… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at GameStop full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: When I started for Gamestop, it was fantastic, over the years things changed as the business became bigger. Overall it was a good job, it… Cons: As with most retail, they have goals, and the focus… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.