There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

My experience was good, but for others it may vary depending on who is managing the store.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON
Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- If you like video games, it is an enjoyable environment being surrounded by them.
- Good chance to develop communication and interpersonal skills
- Employees are close knit as there are usually less than 10 staff employed at a store
- Good start if you're looking for some customer service experience

Cons

- Too much variability in management between stores. You'll meet some really good managers and some really bad ones.
- No structured training program for line staff at the time I was hired. (2005)
- Part time staff sometimes only get one shift a week (3-4 hour shift) due to cuts in hours.

- Keep a closer eye on poorer performing stores. It may not be the line staff who are performing poorly but the manager.
- Develop a structured training program for line staff. A lot of new employees are simply thrown into the water and do not understand customer service
- Stop cutting hours allotted to the stores, especially larger and busier ones like mall stores. They need the hours. Less than 120 hours a week is not enough. Since the part time staff have their shifts and hours cut it will force them to look for jobs elsewhere and deter them from continuing to work for you.

reviews filtered by

EB Games/Gamestop are not willing to match the compensation level of similar companies

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cranbrook, BC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cranbrook, BC

I worked at GameStop

Pros

Generally an exciting industry to be a part of. Great benefit package.

Cons

They don't pay enough at any level. High turnover.

If you want to retain your key employees start paying them what is in line with what similar companies pay.

A Love/Hate Relationship

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at GameStop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am extremely grateful for the opportunities I received over my time with GameStop. I started as a store manager and when I left had been a district manager for several years. I worked with an amazing group of store managers, district manager peers, and store associates, and learned so much about leadership and myself over that time. The opportunities are endless thanks to the company's growth, and unfortunately also due to the increasingly high turnover. If you can survive in GameStop's sales culture with so many priorities to juggle, you can thrive in any other retailer.

Cons

Despite the "Protect The Family" message, associates at all levels often feel like just a (replaceable) number. While this tone of course comes down to the particular manager, it is increasingly pervasive in the company's current climate. At the district level under current leadership we are only as good as the current day's performance, and it is challenging to not pass this unhealthy tone down to the store level. The company's message and direction for the year is promising, but in actual practice will likely not change much. Payroll in stores is absolutely terrible, despite the ever increasing workload. The pressure to stay relevant combined with the tight margins of electronics have led to some of the challenges, but the approach executives have taken to combat this has largely drained the engaging culture that made this a great company of which to be a part.

Put your associates first. YES, Service Matters! However, that applies to our internal customers, not just the external ones. Associates can't be expected to own customer experience to the level needed if leadership doesn't first take care of them. This year's focuses are great in theory, but how much of it will be diluted in the field in actual practice? 83 hours to run a service oriented store is just not realistic with the current operational workload, even with recent reductions. Be careful not to grow the tech brands so fast that focus is lost on the core. Maintain a respectful workplace for all associates at ALL levels.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop