GameStop
2.7 of 5 1,065 reviews
www.GameStop.com Grapevine, TX 5000+ Employees

My experience was good, but for others it may vary depending on who is managing the store.

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at GameStop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- If you like video games, it is an enjoyable environment being surrounded by them.
- Good chance to develop communication and interpersonal skills
- Employees are close knit as there are usually less than 10 staff employed at a store
- Good start if you're looking for some customer service experience

Cons- Too much variability in management between stores. You'll meet some really good managers and some really bad ones.
- No structured training program for line staff at the time I was hired. (2005)
- Part time staff sometimes only get one shift a week (3-4 hour shift) due to cuts in hours.

Advice to Senior Management- Keep a closer eye on poorer performing stores. It may not be the line staff who are performing poorly but the manager.
- Develop a structured training program for line staff. A lot of new employees are simply thrown into the water and do not understand customer service
- Stop cutting hours allotted to the stores, especially larger and busier ones like mall stores. They need the hours. Less than 120 hours a week is not enough. Since the part time staff have their shifts and hours cut it will force them to look for jobs elsewhere and deter them from continuing to work for you.

EB Games/Gamestop are not willing to match the compensation level of similar companies

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Cranbrook, BC

I worked at GameStop

Pros: Generally an exciting industry to be a part of. … Cons: They don't pay enough at any level. High turnover. Advice to Senior Management: If you want to retain your key employees start paying… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Salesperson

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GameStop

Pros: Fun, engaging, positive, interesting, good products Cons: Bad pay, slow progression, no career opportunity More

There are newer reviews on GameStop.

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GameStop CEO J. Paul Raines. All reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees.