There are newer employer reviews for GNC

A good overall retail workplace environment

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Ferndale, MI (US)
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Ferndale, MI (US)

I have been working at GNC part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are a health and fitness nut, then it's an excellent place to work

Cons

It can get boring working by yourself some days

I think the prices could be more competitive. I think we lose a lot of business because other stores sell the same stuff cheaper

478 Other Employee Reviews for GNC (View Most Recent)

GNC started out as a great company to work for, but they will become victims of their own policies.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at GNC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GNC pays entry-level store managers very well for what they do, and offer a decent set of benefits.

Cons

Annual raises are negligible. I managed a top-performing store, and only received a 2.5% raise to my annual salary. But, over half of my pay was actually from commission, so a 2.5% raise to my salary was really like a 1.25% raise to my annual pay. The only way to actually get a noticeable increase in pay is to move to a busier store, but that's not easy to do, and that eventually caps off as well. I was granted quite a few vacation and sick days every year, and even paid holidays, but because of GNCs hiring practices and tight labor budgets, I rarely actually got to use them, because I couldn't get coverage for my store. Unfortunately, they also don't roll over, so I had to let a lot of PTO rot every year. GNC's labor budgeting was really screwed up, so sometimes busy stores had way too little coverage and slow stores had way too much. You don't get a lunch break, or any breaks, because you're required to work alone so often. It was hard to hire good people, because GNC requires that its part-time employees be clean-cut, intelligent adults that are very good at sales and that also have very flexible schedules, but GNC also requires that these people be willing to work for minimum wage and be willing to settle for a maximum of 15-20 hours per week. The sales expectations were very reasonable for my first few years with the company, but they kept raising the bar and making new policies. It got to the point that we were having to push the wrong products on people just to make our goals, which is bad business.

GNC needs to dial back the aggressiveness of its sales goals. P3 is a great program, but with the bar being as high as it is now, people are pushing P3s so hard that the program is defeating itself. Not only are customers being driven away (either by the pushiness of the sales associate, or by the fact that they were paired with the wrong product and it didn't work for them), but I feel that it is safe to say that the average GNC employee would seriously sell a $20 P3 over a $60 non-P3 (which is bad for your bottom line). Multi-Vitamin expectations are so high that people are pushing vitapaks to customers as stand-alone fat-burners and muscle-building products. Not only is that driving away customers who get upset because they aren't getting the results that they expect, but it's causing the sales associates to cut their sales short. After they get a "yes" on the vitapak, they get scared to show the customer anything else, because they're worried that the customer will put the vitapak back and get something else instead. So not only is average sale being impacted, but customer retention is as well. The Gold Card program is fairly stupid. It serves no real purpose other than to annoy and confuse customers. Also, with the GC expectations as high as they are now, most people just renew goldcards on every purchase that's above $75, and it's become a very hollow indicator. Also, GNC's advertising and in-store merchandising is very low impact. Most customers pay very little attention to it, and in-stead rely on the sales associate for advice. I would recommend that GNC quit dumping so much money into marketing, and instead invest that money into allowing more labor hours and bonuses to the stores.

Not a bad start in sales.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Fort Wayne, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I have been working at GNC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for a franchisee allows me to make more in commission than most corporate associates. I get commission on all products I sell. I love the challenge work brings every single day.

Cons

My franchisee is a rather hard man to work for. Sometimes his goals are difficult to reach but that is what makes a successful salesman. I do not care for the amount of reset and plan'O'gram revisions that are sent out every month. It confuses the customer and we forget where something was moved to if it isn't a hot ticket item.

Pay your store managers more and we wouldn't have to resort to working for a francheise store. Ask for post secondary educated individuals to staff your store. It makes the customer think we know what we are talking about.

There are newer employer reviews for GNC

Worked for GNC? Contribute to the Community!