GE

www.ge.com
  www.ge.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE

Very good to kick start your career

Current Employee - Performance Engineer in Bangalore (India)
Current Employee - Performance Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, freedom to explore new things, exposure to real engineering techniques.

Cons

Poor human resource management. I wanted to change my stream but never given an opportunity.

No use.

2710 Other Employee Reviews for GE (View Most Recent)

Unsure how long they will last with the management team I experienced

Former Employee - Software Solutions Engineer/Project Engineer in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I worked at GE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Looks good on a CV, but that is about it. Make sure you're working on a site that gives a dam about staff. If you do it’s a great place to work and can have a great career with some very good engineers.

Cons

In the 5 years I worked at my site there they never spent a single dollar on my development. All personal development I done was from my own pocket and holiday time. Current staff who stay, have been long term additions to the company with many typically straight from university, some 10-15 years ago. They have become very very arrogant to such an extent that new staff that come in with ideas and improvements from other companies and universities, are seen as a threat and ridiculed in front of peers, specially true for new staff with higher education.

I worked typically 52 - 74 hrs a week on tasks that are always deadlines and need to be done, with no support from peers. People were leaving (no surprise there) and not being replaced, forcing staff to take up the slack. I guess it’s an ideal situation for higher managers to look good, do the same work with less staff. Just threaten people and crack the whip, sorry it’s not the 1800’s and no one deserves to be treated like that.

You need to be in with the crowd to be noticed, certain people are with the "in" crowd, others are spoken to like an idiot.

Raise staff bullying and your low salary to site HR rep and you are burned at your yearly review. You're highlighted as a trouble maker and told your "career in GE is over" and that "they wouldn't mind seeing you go".

Even when you take that on the chin and stay with the company they take disciplinary action against you with some made up evidence to get you out the door, but it's your word against theirs. "It’s your year to be thrown under the bus" was the term I was told. When you try to appeal your told inaccurate HR policy and told no grounds to appeal against a rating that you've been given. The same rating that stays with you for your entire time at GE, so no prospect of promotion or moving within the company.... ever.

You have a great company but you need to be less strategic and more feet on the ground. Your low level team leaders, engineering managers are killing moral and you’re losing your talent. They need to be replaced they are bad to the core. The customers are seeing this and company image is dying. When all you have left is leaders who take no responsibility and stab each other in the back, it will be too late. Perhaps listen to engineers rather than their managers who have their own agenda.

an aquired assest of GE

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I still have a job

Cons

My pay went down, while health care cost went WAY up when GE aquired the company.
    Yoy must be "GE born" w/an enginerring degree to advance in the company.

Fire Jeff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!