There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Uncaring!

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck, but no quality of life to go with it.

Cons

Hostile company looking for anything to threaten and terminate people with. Uncaring about any quality of life - you're just slave labor!

None - because they don't care and won't listen.

613 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

current store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you do a good job and you have a good inventory you basically run the store by yourself. I enjoy people and enjoy what I do so I do like my job very much. You get to teach your staff how to become a good manager and it is nice to beable to help others move up. The prices are good and I like to provide my customers with a better quality of life by running a discount store.

Cons

If you have a good dm, which I do, your job is enjoyable as long as you don't have a life outside of work, you don't mind working 12 hours without a break or ever sitting down and you don't mind being the accountant, loss prevention person, plumber, computer technician, stocker and cashier. The corporation top leaders make an incredible amount of money while giving cashiers and managers as little as possible. Payroll hours given to run a store are insane. If you get hurt good luck with the people I've seen hurt on the job you would be better off keeping your mouth shut and get your own doctor.
    The corporation has taken over ordering and you now cannot get the inventory you need in your store. I've worked here for almost a decade and never ran out of products my customers needed. Now I cannot provide what my customers needed.
    I am alone in my store for more than half the day and I do feel unsafe sometimes. I know my boss cares about my staff but truly I think corporation has to stop hoarding all the profits and make the stores safer and less stressful to work in.

Listen to your manager's inventory needs they know their customers needs. Give the stores enough hours to safely run their stores. No one should ever be alone in their store. Your wages should be competitive to other stores in each neighborhood. When 15 year olds make more money than your assistant managers are paid it is very disrespectful to ask them to work as hard as they do for peanuts. Since everyone at the top makes incredible money they should reflect on it is all the people underneath them that get them their money.

Little opportunity for advancement, especially for females

Former Employee - Store Planner  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Store Planner in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

job security. someone was even allowed to stay after physically assaulting another team member in front of several members of upper management including a senior level director

Cons

little to no opportunity for advancement, especially if you are a female. more responsibilities and tasks are required then are specified in your job description (on a daily basis) without additional pay or advancement

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!