There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Fantastic challenges, great craic, excellent people

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite having several thousand employees, you can still have an impact, and it doesn't have to be "wrote the messaging system", it can be as simple as "made something more efficient, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars over a year", or "enabling someone else to be a rock star". There are great challenges in the infrastructure, and it's a first-hand experience of (at the heart) simple systems interacting in complex ways. Lovely food from the on-campus cafe (really and truly I'd call it a restaurant, the food is that good), break out areas for peace and quiet, and generally excellent and smart co-workers.

Cons

Long days mostly, and the communication lag with HQ. It's possible to get sucked down a rabbit hole for days on end, sinking in far too many hours. However, in the end, it's a personal choice to do hours and hours of work beyond what you're salaried for. The 8 hour lag with California is also a pain in the rear - you either live with 24 hour turnaround on question/answer threads, or you stay late to try and catch someone in real time.

782 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Super talented co-workers
    - Facebook really is changing the world
    - Very easy to have a large impact inside the company
    - Strong focus on enabling everyone to do their best work. In particular this means focusing on keeping non productive overhead to a minimum, giving everyone the hardware, training, etc they need to succeed, preventing unhealthy corporate politics and continuously looking for ways to make engineers more productive

Cons

Changing the world is hard work, but everyone really believes in what we are doing which makes it fun at the same time

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Huge impact from day one - I got to own pretty large projects almost as soon as I joined, and the amount of trust placed in employees even from the first few weeks in bootcamp is amazing.
    - Exciting work environment, I work with some of the very best people I've met in the business every day
    - Real start-up feel and anxious to keep it that way. There's a lot of attention paid to the culture of the company
    - Things really do move fast. It's really motivating to see the results of your efforts get adopted so quickly
    - Great support from management
    - Fun @ work, many great perks. Lots of free food, and a gym to work it all off.

Cons

High workload mean that you have to be pretty motivated to enjoy it. On the flip side that's mostly self-driven - I certainly end up working a lot not because I'm pushed to but because I want to see my project succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook