There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

A good way to jumpstart your career

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Facebook has a lot of awesome people working there to solve interesting problems at scale. They have over a billion active users a month and a lot of smart engineers working to keep their software great. The benefits and pay are obviously great, and since it's a well-known company it's a good place to start if you're looking to get recognized at other tech companies and startups.

Cons

If you're looking to solve "new" problems and build new things, Facebook is probably not the ideal place for you. They occasionally work on new features but a lot of work is put into improving or rehashing what they currently have. This is what I spent most of my time on while I was there. It was still pretty fun though.

Facebook sometimes claims to be startup, but it's not in most aspects the average software engineer would be concerned with. While engineers do have access to a lot of information and code, the company is too big for one person to have a major impact on product or engineering decisions.

794 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

One of the best places to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Facebook's culture of moving fast and breaking things is really great. You really get code in production very fast and you can make a large impact over the world pretty quick.
    Also the no cubicles workplace is nice, and all the other perks

Cons

I don't see any major downside of working at Facebook. Everything was just great during my whole internship.

Really the best engineering experience I have hoped for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During the 5+ years I've worked here as an engineer, I've had really incredible and satisfying experiences. I've learned so much more than I did at my past company in a similar amount of time, have almost never been disappointed with the caliber of a co-worker (and I've worked somewhat closely with around 50 other engineers) and have gotten to contribute the product as a clip I wouldn't have believed possible. As an engineer I felt like I had a lot of control and influence over my work and the products I worked on and got to create some of the most impactful and satisfying products and features of my career, past and probably future. If you're really great at what you do or have really great product ideas, very little will interfere with you showing that quickly. New engineers are highly valued in the culture.

Salary/bonus compensation has been really strong in addition to the stock compensation.

Cons

I've felt like I've been able to maintain a pretty good work life/balance (especially after the first year), but I feel like I had to work hard to make that happen. Being around many people who feel compelled to put most of their waking weekday hours into coding can be intimidating, even when you feel confident in the job you're doing and even when pressure to put in a ton of hours is rarely explicit. Engineers can definitely work reasonable hours, especially older ones with families, but you have to bring your own self-confidence to trust that you're kicking butt even if you're not putting in a ton of hours (especially during the summers when interns ratchet up the intensity around the office)

Things are done very fast, which also means things can be hectic and sometimes chaotic (though this feels less and less true as the years go by), but I'd expect some culture shock for anyone coming from software companies where stability and consensus are top-priorities. Code quality has felt really good for the past 2 or so years, though this definitely didn't feel true when I started.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook