There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

A decent company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Biggest pluses are work-life balance, and getting to know the travel business. The investments in SOA are really starting to pay off, and the stock price has reflected the growing strength of the business.

Cons

They aim for 50% percentile of compensation in the industry, so you generally will not see an strong offer when hired. The company is for the most part not on the cutting edge of technology. The investments in engineering are mostly just to get to a modern SOA architecture, and I don't see any attempt to leapfrog in the process.

Take a cue from Amazon and focus much more on customer experience, and let this drive the way forward.

841 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Love company, dislike department

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

liberal vacation, great medical, enjoy culture, once I get out of my own department it's a great place to work

Cons

Very very difficult to move around once you are there, managed by people who are unaware of what you do, morale is in the toilet, I think we may have the worst management in the entire company, unaware of how to engage employees, unaware of who does what, daily I feel like no one is in charge. Managers sit in offices with doors closed and are completely unavailable, supervisors are unskilled and micromanagers, too many workarounds for stuff that breaks or never worked correctly.

It is really pointless as no one is listening. This is the worst I have ever seen it.

No monetary benefit for sticking around; work/life balance depends upon the group

Current Employee - Product  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel discounts. Good vacation benefits. Leisure travel reimbursement. OK culture. Casual dress.

Cons

There's no unified policy around working from home and they like to say they promote work/life balance, but when you have a manager that isn't in line with alleged company values there is unfair scrutiny. As a working mother I feel unfairly scrutinized when I need to take my children to the doctor even when there's never been a question of the quality and timeliness of work. I've been told that "people" have noticed that I'm not here on the rare occasions that I need to tend to something during working hours. I'm salary so it's not like I'm skipping out on hours and then claiming them. On other teams I had really great flexibility and that was a strength of the management. I've gone from working from home 1-4 days a week to not at all because you need to keep up appearances for management. You're made to feel untrustworthy and like you're slacking.

I've been here over 5 years and a few years ago HR had a new policy to hire everyone in at the middle of their salary range while leaving everyone that was already here where they were. So I was managing people that were making only $500 less than me a year. If I was to be hired now I would be making $20,000 more a year and that's really difficult to stomach. I continually think about leaving.

Obvious favoritism from management.

Be consistent. Trust your employees and don't be a manager if you can't talk directly to your directs. More communication. Don't penalize working parents. Pay all of your employees competitively. Learn what your employees do. I can't respect a manager that doesn't understand my job or the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!