There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Travel made easy!

Current Employee - Application Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)
Current Employee - Application Engineer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People are great - very positive and want to get to know you
- willingness of those around to help provide you info or give advice, either about work, travel, or both!
- Travel and health benefits are amazing

Cons

- Typical office politics
- sometimes a lack of desire to emphasize operational excellence

Please look at establishing standards (especially in IT) for processes and tools for Operations as that will help in reducing overhead cost and allow that money to be shifted toward new ventures that can help keep Expedia at the top of travel

869 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

The Unspoken Rules

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits. Travel Discounts. The ability to work for a company everyone recognizes.

Cons

1. Unless you're prepared to say something that makes you and your director look good, even if you have no clue what you're talking about, say nothing at all.
    2. Underachievers and rule breakers will get ahead as long as they make friends with someone who matters.
    3. Management must be re-org'd on at least a bi-yearly basis
    4. Management is to have as little knowledge as possible about what their directs do yet will immediately tell directs how their jobs should be done.
    5. Career life expectancy is not to exceed 2-3 years.
    6. Always point fingers at others.
    7. Never check the facts before pointing said fingers.
    8. Never take responsibility for your own screw ups.
    9. Insignificant business functions take precedence over customer service and experience.
    10. If someone makes you unhappy, see to it that their bonuses are doc'd 80%

Take a step back and try to actually learn something about what your employees do for you on a daily basis. Back them up when there's a problem, it's their work that keeps you paid in the first place.

Stop fixing things that aren't broken

Go back to caring more about your customers instead of how much time it takes for a VP to get an email in the middle of the night (which he probably won't read until morning) when there is a customer impacting outage.

Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
    work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
    and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia