Edelman

www.edelman.com
  www.edelman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

Fast-paced, always changing environment with great people but occasionally questionable decision-making

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

The people are amazing. You'll make great friends and feel invited into a very collaborative, friendly environment by your peers. The agency at large is very well-respected, which is a great status to maintain and be part of when working with clients.

Cons

Decisions made by senior leadership are not communicated well to employees. Any communications that are made by leadership are clouded in positivity, lacking detail and decreasing their credibility. Also, the leadership team seems to have become a group in and of themselves, protecting one another and becoming more disconnected from the team at large. For example, senior leadership members were almost all promoted to higher positions during the most recent common review season, while hard-working and deserving midlevel staff were largely overlooked despite similar years of experience and age.

Communicate decisions that are made regularly. Reinforce ideals of an environment (such as approachable leadership) by practicing them, not merely stating them.

983 Other Employee Reviews for Edelman (View Most Recent)

Great work experience, but lots of double standards and too much office politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to learn a lot at Edelman! Anyone new to the business will get all the training they need starting their career here. If you can get someone from upper management "behind" you, you will excel and do really well. The first three years there, I experienced relative job growth and comparable salary adjustments. There were a lot of employee perks and benefits- probably the most I've ever had at any other company. If you like hard work, are just starting out and need experience, this is the place for you! I thoroughly enjoyed my job here and all that I was able to take away from the experience.

Cons

There was a great salary disparity at all levels- raises were based on who you know, who your team managers are, and what clients you worked for. Once the VIP behind me was let go through "downsizing," there was no more job growth or salary adjustments. I noticed a glass ceiling for minority job growth and advancement- no minority upper level managers, and virtually no minority staff (other than interns) working on projects that were "diversity" oriented! Managers were reluctant to let their good employees advance to other areas of the company. Often, new people or temporary consultants were hired on instead of promoting from within across areas. Seniority didn't really mean much unless you were an Executive level employee. There was a lot of back-stabbing and corporate bickering among staff, double standards for different staff levels and even finger-pointing, blaming and all-around very hostile environment. The micro-managing became unbearable- I had to clock in/out when I used the restroom HR was not very helpful- seemingly mediators, but never resolved any issues other than to assist with your exit interview, which by the time you were done with it, your computer was disconnected from the system and you were locked out of any files and your access denied! Communication is the cornerstone of Public Relations- how ironic that Edelman can execute PR events with the best of them, but management had some of the poorest communicators I had ever worked with!

Get a clue! Undercover Boss is a great show that opens the eyes of out-of-touch bosses- Edelman needs a serious dose of that! My experience was a few years ago, but if things haven't changed much (which from reading other reviews I gather they haven't), try being more open-minded and not so narrowly focused on traditional ways of running a business. Try equality across the board, not by department or levels of management. You need to think outside the box with regards to organizational behavior relative to management and staff, and be just as creative as you are with your PR events. Hire more diverse staff: people who can bring new cultures, ideas and ways of doing things to senior level positions, and not just in their own countries! Hire a company like Accenture to help make Edelman the type of company people expect it to be!

Is Edelman one of the best?

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As an English, native speaker there are numerous opportunities to interact with clients and manage projects in Beijing. An overseas education is something that provides a skill set which is unique among local staff, and, thus, helps you to stand out.

Cons

Frankly, the Beijing office operates more on guanxi (personal relationships and connections) than it does on hard work and success. It's a well known fact that foreign staff face greater challenges in being promoted compared to their local counterparts.
    Maintaining a good work-life balance is difficult.

Ensure that employees that do good work are recognized. The quality of work is not always determined by the hours someone works.
    Work on employee satisfaction and retention. In particular, pay attention to ensuring that your employees have a work-life balance. Too many colleagues of mine have quit because they've been forced to work overtime nearly everyday.

There are newer employer reviews for Edelman