Best company in which to work and shop!

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Manhattan, KS (US)
Current Employee - Store Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sincere dedication to their mission to inspire women. Great upper management that gives everyone an opportunity to contribute ideas. Stylish clothes at great prices. Excellent benefits and work environment.

Cons

Still working to provide newer tools at the store level, such as hand scanners. Allowing store managers to adjust inventory levels by dept. would help us react to local trends.

Keep lines of communication open, invest in new technologies.

Other Reviews for Dress Barn

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee discount 40% reg price and another 20% off discounted merchandise

Cons

I worked for the company for a long time and when I started they were very employee friendly. They cared about the employee as a person. After a few years the company got larger and larger. That's when they started putting pressure on everyone to do more outread, vip parties, get those charges, increase sph, upts etc. They never gave you any extra hours to set up fashion shows or vip parties. You needed to find a way but heaven help you if they found out you did it on your own time even though that's the only way it coudl be done. We are in a small town and we've done so many fashion shows with not results but the company doesn't care. It's also hard to get vip parties. we have lots of tourists so they aren't in town for such things and the locals don't care. So much pressure is put on the AM's it's ridiculous. Our store averged 200 hours a week with at most 4 people working in any given day. Get the BBT done, get the DST done, get the newsletter done, get the window posters up, get the transfers out, get the freight out, do the observation feedbacks, get the quarterly sales goals done, make sure all PTS have their goals for the day, make sure the walls and merchandising are done on time and per guidelines, answer phones, get special orders out, check in freight, do the schedule, answer the DSM's 20 million e-mails she sends everyday. I could go on and on. My stress came because my manager didn't do his job. So I had to do my job in addition to his and if I didn't then my DSM would say "why didn't you have his back". This caused me a lot of stress which got to the point I couldn't handle it anymore. I admit I did do a few things and say a few things I shouldn't have but the way I was treated was inexcusable. My DSM and 2 other SM came down and "interrogated" me about these things. Needless to say I was very upset and when I started to go on the sales floor one of the SM very nastly told me to put a smile on. You were not allowed to be sad or feel unwell while working. The next day my DSM sent down another SM. She had her associate do an observation feedback form on me and of course she found many things I didn't do correctly. The SM got very verbaly abusive to the point I broke down and was very hysterical and upset to the point I said "I can't take this anymore" and put my badge and keys on the table. The SM literally ran to the computer to print out a resignation form and then had me put my stuff in a shopping bag and did a bag check at the front of the store so it looked like to everyone that I was being "walked out". Nothing I did or said would cause me to deserve to be treated in such a way. It was extreme emotional abuse and I beleive done on purpose so I would quit so I couldn't file unemployment. My DSM was always terrified of firing just because of this. This was extremly cruel. If they had just told me it ws no longer working out and fired me I would still have respect for them but they chose the gutless way. Oh and by the way my SM was on vacation while this was done. Some coincidence don't you think?

Start treating your employees with respect. It should be life/work balance. not the other way around and stop trying to make employees "live" the mission statement. What an employee does on thier own time is none of your buisiness. If they are not commiting a crime or such, STAY OUT OF IT!!

Experience varies greatly by store

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits
    Flexible Schedule
    Great Customers - many regulars
    In most stores, you have a voice. Your input is welcomed, and your work and abilities valued.

Cons

Some Store Managers take advantage of their assistants and salespeople - steal charges and sales, even if labelled; leave early every Friday; don't work Saturdays or Holiday weekends; watch staff vacuum,clean and straighten, empty fitting rooms while talking to their on the phone; send assistants on personal errands on company time, ie. to pick up car keys at company-payed parking lot. Also, some pit the staff against each other by gossiping, discouraging rather than promoting teamwork and creating an uncomfortable and hostile environment.

Keep up the good work. Things have improved greatly. Please make unannounced visits to see what is really going on in some places. Managers who operate on a double standard should not be here, regardless of their length of service.

There are newer employer reviews for Dress Barn.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!