Where are the improvements?

Current Employee - Loyalty Agent  in  Thornton, CO (US)
Current Employee - Loyalty Agent in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers and coworkers. You do get paid so I guess that could be considered a pro. A 20 word minimum is hard to reach in the pro section.

Cons

New CEO sent out a memo saying that the benefits package will be improved... Never happened. Terrible insurance! Chain of command is useless. They fire the good agents and coaches, and keep incompetent people. Too much pressure to reach "metrics". AHT, upsell, QA, CSAT and FCR. What happened to customer service? Now we even get put on a naughty list if we give too many credits to customers. Constant fear of being fired for any reason at any time. Dish is not even remotely a "great place to work".

Better benefits. We need affordable insurance, not cruises and cars. Don't give us "talking points" and not give us time to use them. Handle time should not come into play when your job is to save customers. Your agents are disconnecting great customers just to lower their AHT. How can you be so blind? Have your agents review their coaches. You might just learn something.

Other Reviews for DISH

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really great colleagues. There's a real sense of being in this together, so most everyone is supportive of one another.

Beautiful campus. It's on a golf course with public trails. In sunny Colorado.

Free parking.

Cons

The problem at Dish isn’t just money (which, in my field, is below market) or benefits (expensive health care that doesn’t kick in for several months, two weeks of vacation for the first three years, few holidays, no cash bonus for G&A employees, and stock bonus capped at $4,000 for non-officers).

It’s also culture. Dish is the most callous place I’ve ever worked.

If you interview outside HR offices at Dish HQ (headquarters), take a look around and listen. There’s very little laughter. Some areas are practically silent. In other areas, you might hear yelling.

Also, check out the condition of the furniture while you’re walking around. Furniture is old and often broken. There are holes in the floor, so you have to watch where you step or move a chair.

The company’s trying to improve the atmosphere through a leadership initiative, but, the approach has flaws.

For example, the company is not taking a measurement of the people they are trying to develop. With no measurement and re-measurement, how will anyone know if managers have implemented what they have learned? Instead, they’re using a survey that focused on feelings rather than actions. Because employee IDs were required to take the survey, several colleagues have said they did not answer the survey candidly out of fear for their employment.

Also, the program seems to be focused on middle management. Dish has a notorious reputation in Denver for managing through fear (which is why so many jobs at Dish HQ are filled with people from outside Colorado). As several recent articles and reviews have pointed out, this comes from the top. For example, there was a lot of publicity about a VP that pushed the geriatric father of another attorney at court. Nothing has been done about this. If the problems were not cultural, why would these behaviors be tolerated?

Other behaviors for which Dish is notorious are micromanaging, vindictiveness, yelling, throwing objects (and sometimes hitting people with those objects), and threatening to fire people at the drop of a hat over small matters.

The demands on personal time are tremendous. As other reviewers have pointed out, it's difficult to cultivate a life outside of Dish if you want to keep your job. I’ve worked every vacation and nearly every weekend and holiday, have been told to cancel medical appointments at my expense, and couldn’t attend a relative’s funeral. I’ve received no comp time for all of this work.

Also, the company isn’t known from promoting internally. A common phrase around the office is that for Dish, there’s always someone better on the outside.

On the plus side, if you’re hired at Dish, looking for another job in Denver is easier for two reasons. First, many interviewers don’t need a reason for leaving Dish. For them, the company’s name is enough. Second, people are impressed that you survived Dish. To them, if you can survive Dish, you can survive anywhere.

Leverage the reviews here to improve working conditions for employees and the company's overall reputation as an employer.

It is what it is

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

I went in to DISH with eyes wide open. I knew what I was getting into, and it is as advertised... on the plus side, the pay isn't horrible for everyone, and if you stick around (and don't get "talent upgraded") there are plenty of opportunities. It's decent experience on your resume. Also, right now the company is in a very interesting place strategically with its wireless plans and whatever it's going to do with Blockbuster. Overall, the product is great - as good as any in the industry, and by far the best price.

Cons

Here's the problem... the time off and benefits stink, and the company culture is terrible. Their standard line is 'DISH isn't for everyone'... yeah, ok, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't treat people with respect. With all the press they've been getting recently they've been making a lot of noise about changing things, recognizing that staff aren't happy. That's all it is though - noise. In 6 months absolutely nothing has actually changed. All they have done is ask happy staff to post here to even out the bad reviews (hence the sudden glut of reviews - nice try, but I don't think anyone is going to fall for that).

Some of the complaints people have are asinine (seriously, people, where have you worked that being in the office between 9-4 or letting your manager know in advance is an unreasonable request?), others are totally legit - they spend the absolute bare minimum on benefits; they don't recognize several public holidays and the vacation allowance is terrible; they company is cheaper than you can possibly imagine (I definitely recommend trying to avoid corporate travel); don't expect to ever work from home; employee moral is low - especially after they fire people (regularly); in many roles you'll be on call 24/7; they call the culture 'pay for performance' but in reality it's usually 'pay as little as we can get away with on an individual basis'; there is a culture of mistrust permeating from the very top, in every department, at every level. It makes it a very frustrating place to work.

Trust your staff and treat them with respect, provide competitive pay and benefits. Otherwise, everyone worthwhile will leave as soon as they can.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!