DISH

www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worst Company to Work for

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Flexibility, freedom, meeting new people

Cons

Dish does not value their employees, never any positive feedback from management, made to feel that the job you do is never good enough. Terrible communication and always a blindside.

Positive reinforcement goes a long way and so does trust.

1953 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Worst place in America to work... Yes

Current Employee - Dr Dish/Broadband in Hilliard, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Dr Dish/Broadband in Hilliard, OH (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are always looking to hire and give hours. I'm really struggling to think of another positive thing to say.

Cons

This company doesn't care about you and doesn't pretend to care. Wither employee customer or both they care more about your money than you. Profits before customers, customers before employees. There is always this feeling that they are looking to replace you. I have been with dish for 3 years and by their stats have been rated as one of the top agents at my site. They work me long hours and seem to not understand if you can't or don't want to work over time. I'm at a call center and they are not afraid to tell you that you are replaceable. They can't keep employees and have a high turn over rate for so many reasons. Their training is poor and they blame the employees for not knowing the job. Then when they get to where i am they find how bad training is up to this point. Them the people that do have experience have to explain why it took five people to fix their simple issue. They continuously and to your job without a raise, and little to no training. One of the big things right now is sales. They are telling people that if you can't get your sales at least 8% or you will be fired. I do tech Support and i find it terrible trying to sell programming to someone that can't get their TV to work. I could say a lot more but i think this is a good start to tell how bad the company is. Oh one more thing. Joe Claton seems to think there is no problem here and told all employees to go on here and wright a review if you like your job. Backfire...

Remember your employees are people too.

It's a call center. Where you take calls.

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In general: If you can deal being on the phones talking to people all day, it's a pretty easy job. The resources are there if you need help, lots of training, lots of opportunities for development and moving into different departments. Shifts are based on call volume so there's always a need for evening/weekend staffing but there are plenty of shift options and many are M-F or earlier in the day. Opportunities to get bonuses and contest prizes or random stuff from network representatives. Need a True Blood flashlight? How about 3?
    My department: Laid-back environment, good culture, great coworkers. If you want to do the bare minimum, the job is fairly simple, straightforward, and can be repetitive. But there are always more aspects of the business to learn and if you're interested in doing more, people are supportive. Very hands-off management, which can be nice if you can produce results and prefer to work at your own pace.
    I came into this job by necessity- I finished school, moved to a new city, and couldn't find anything in my field. I took the job as a customer service agent because I needed a job and I stayed because I felt it was useless to hop from 1 "plan b" job to another. I decided if I wasn't finding what I wanted I may as well stay at one job and be able to show advancement within one place and longevity. I'm probably lucky that I moved into the department I did, but I see room for advancement and overall find the job satisfying.

Cons

It's a call center so most of the stuff that goes along with that is true here as well. Agents are accountable for multiple metrics, need to be able to think quickly on calls, and have to be emotionally prepared to deal with all sorts of people- jerks, idiots, well-meaning elderly, etc. Most positions are hired from within and it's cool that most of your superiors started out on the phones as well. But while there's an opportunity for advancement, there's a bottleneck from agents into support staff. A few hundred agents versus 30 or so support staff. Also, being able to advance is often predicated on doing well in your current metrics, which makes sense, but it can be overly narrow and shortsighted. Benefits and pay is apparently not very good- honestly I don't really have an opinion on benefits and in regards to pay, I was given an opportunity to learn and gain experience in a department for which I had no training so I consider that to be a trade-off.

I know you're busy, but most employees want development and would like an official opportunity to discuss their jobs. When you procrastinate or don't take it seriously it tells your report that you don't care about them or their performance.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH