There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing

A great idea going quickly down the drain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Group meals and fun office space.

Cons

Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men".

When I started, this seemed like the best job ever. Even in just the year or so that I've been here I've seen the company rapidly decline. Any sort of mission or vision focus has been completely erased. Most of the original people have quit or been let go through regular mass layoffs. Those who have managed to hang on to their jobs have learned to do whatever the head guy tells them to and not to ask questions. My job is no longer about making decisions or creating, it's about pushing buttons. I just hope I can hang on to it long enough to find a new one elsewhere. There's no passion here any longer.

I hope the Couchsurfing community finds a way to survive with CS or without.

Best of luck to you. I hope I can leap frog onto the next job before you fire me.

28 Other Employee Reviews for CouchSurfing (View Most Recent)

Best decision I ever made

Current Employee - Current Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Current Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

...was coming to work for Couchsurfing.
    The people Couchsurfing attracts are dedicated, intelligent, optimistic, hard-working, professionals who want to change the world for the better, and have a positive outlook reflective of that desire.
    This means that people here are aligned in our mission to facilitate people all over the world to connect in meaningful ways, by creating the best tool possible for doing so.
    Open, frank communication is the norm among the staff, including upper management.
    We all know each other, and eat meals together every day.
    Management creates opportunities for learning and growing into new positions for those with aptitude and drive. They are clear with staff about deliverables and job performance expectations, and make every effort to facilitate us reaching our goals.
    We work collaboratively. I feel my experience and input here is valued.
    It is fun! People here laugh a lot, and care a great deal about what we do, and who is affected by it.

Cons

The transition from the Couchsurfing of yesteryear to what Couchsurfing is now has been intense. Having been through several iterations of this organization's business structures, I can say that, as difficult as the staff, site, and communication changes have been, this organization, and the community that is persevering, is going to be better off for the changes, Dramatically so.
    However, in this crucial period, the multiple challenges of supporting our members in their endeavors, creating the most amazing site possible for them, maintaining our dedication to the safest and healthiest community of sharing individuals, and communicating about all of these things effectively is a real challenge. Exciting and daunting every day.

Keep doing what you're doing: reaching out to individual members with experience who believe in what we're doing and take their advice, being diligent in taking the global perspective and considering all of the factors when making decisions, working collaboratively with your whole staff.

An inspiring place to work

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Before I even started working for Couchsurfing, it was the reason I got up in the morning! The Couchsurfing community has been part of my life for years and working for the company now is better than I could have ever imagined. Every single staff member is brilliant, fun and passionate about what we do. Being around people like that every day not only makes your job more fun, but pushes you to do better.

We're given every single resource would could possibly need to do our jobs to the best of our ability. We're encouraged to think outside the box, ask questions and management is incredibly transparent. As an employee you feel valued and encouraged.

Cons

It's hard work! And because of the changes happening to the website, not everyone knows the answer to everything. There is no set path and decisions are changed daily. This definitely keeps us on our toes, though it's really only a con when you're tired.

The split between the old community and new community is always a tricky one. Some days it can be hard to do your job when you're being pushed from all ends.

Keep on keepin' on. Keep infusing the original spirt and mission of Couchsurfing alive every day. That's what reminds us why we do what we do.

There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing