There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

Horrible work schedule

Former Employee - Refinery Operator in Rodeo, CA (US)
Former Employee - Refinery Operator in Rodeo, CA (US)

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits.
Reasonable concern for the welfare of employees.
Intelligent, skilled workforce

Cons

Assessment of rotating schedule work hours found the transition from day to swing to grave in 8 hour sifts the best and a twelve hour shift rotating day to grave to day to grave the worst for the negative impact on the health of the shift worker. COP at this location used the twelve hour rotating shift.

308 Other Employee Reviews for ConocoPhillips (View Most Recent)

Experience has been ok, nothing special

Current Employee - N/A in Bartlesville, OK (US)
    Current Employee - N/A in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- New CEO Ryan Lance seems like he cares more for his employees than Mulva did.
      (example: he did away with Mulva's joke of a forced rankings system)
      (example: he recently raised the bonus target rate for certain salary grades.)
    - Good retirement (although not as good as Devon's) and health benefits/insurance.
    - 19/30 days (work an extra 30 minutes each day and get one day off a month & doesn't count against vacation days)
     - Good work/life balance

Cons

- The leadership in my department once told me that we do not make counteroffers to employees that have received a better offer for another company. Seems pretty foolish
    - Average raises usually are around 3.5 - 4.0 percent (can be more depending on rating)
    - Some departments like to "spread the wealth" so they will alter who gets the 1 and 2 ratings each year. For example, if you get a promotion in 2012, you would automatically get the standard 3 rating that year. It is very rare to get a 1 or 2 rating two years in a row even if you do the best work.
    - HR has just as much of a say as your supervisor/director does on when you get promoted.
    - Promotions are just 6%. I know for a fact that this is not the case at CHK or Devon.
    - We don't find the oil, we just follow everybody else to it.

Mr. Lance, if it is true that COP does not have a counteroffer policy how can we expect to retain our top talent and be competitive? And if we do have a counteroffer policy, perhaps you should schedule a "lunch and learn" for the leadership in Bartlesville because they are apparently unaware of it.

Advice to college new hires: If you get an offer to come work here then you should accept the offer. Come and work here for 5 or so years and then go to another company because they will end up paying you a lot more and will value your experience more than COP will. And if you happen to come work in Bartlesville, do NOT buy a house because that's just asking to be trapped.

leave your career aspirations at the door... everyone is an analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Bartlesville, OK (US)
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay good, people good, benefits good, vacation good... Quite a few quality managers but competition is fierce for positions associated with the quality managers. The career path for college new hires is extraordinary. For good or bad, family atmosphere. Opportunities to move to Houston after a few years in Bartlesville is the biggest incentive to accept a position in Bartlesville.

Cons

Bartlesville is a horrible location for both home and work. Career path for experienced professionals challenging. Endless parade of contractors and consultants with endless parade of interesting projects. Staff maintain the projects after the contractors and consultants implement the projects. The work is simply not challenging and stating as such is to the detriment of career advancement.

Challenge those willing to be challenged. Encourage input from staff and eliminate the retaliation from management due to the input. Clear out of Bartlesville! The small town mentality is to the detriment of the "big city" company...

There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips