Not much geology but excellent nonetheless

Current Employee - Geotech Intern  in  Houston, TX (US)
Current Employee - Geotech Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at ConocoPhillips as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Great exercise facilities and the main campus is pretty nice.
- People are always available, even to the lowest of the low (e.g. undergraduate intern)
- Very receptive to questions and I had two people in upper management who would come talk to me every once in a while without prompting which was nice as an undergraduate
- Lots of room for real science in the geoscience areas due to budgets and the extent to which they vet new plays
-All employees were very friendly and open, got tons of great advice from people who had worked at ConocoPhillips for anywhere from 3 to 30 years.
-Houston (both a pro and a con) has all the features of a big city, nice museums, art galleries, parks, places to eat. Has some very impressive dog parks. Bill Archer dog park is by far the nicest dog park I have ever been to.

Cons

- Due to recent split from Phillips 66 ConocoPhillips is having difficulty defining themselves as a company. As the largest independent by far, they still largely operate like a major. Risk taking is rare, somewhat slow to move on new plays, etc. Pay for full-time employees is not as competitive as smaller independents but there is more stability

- There are two campuses, Westlake (with BP) and the Main Campus. Main Campus has the workout area and you can feel somewhat isolated from the rest of the company at Westlake. Working at Westlake also makes using the facilities (like the gym, pool, soccer pitch, basketball court etc. ) difficult. Even though it's right across the street Houston traffic is atrocious and often a deterrent to driving to another campus as I-10 separates the two.

-While I was there the new CEO talked a lot about defining a new culture of COP but never said anything substantial. Seemed to focus on treating people well which seemed strange as it was already an exceedingly friendly work environment, but never said anything concrete about how Conoco would compete with other independents on salary and benefits.

-Houston, though nothing compared to LA traffic Houston traffic is nothing to scoff at. What would normally be a 15-20 minute drive in no or light traffic would often turn into 45 minutes to an hour and one afternoon took me nearly two hours. Houston is incredibly spread out and much of it is not worth seeing. Incredibly consumer centric; it's practically impossible to do anything in the Houston area without spending money or being at/near a mall. It's coastal plains so if you enjoy any kind of outdoor activity you pretty much have to give it up. No worthwhile mountain biking, outdoor climbing or bouldering, hiking. It's hot and humid for most of the year and unfortunately the Texas coast is just terrible, in part due to the fact that during the summer the Gulf of Mexico water temperature is typically hovering around 80 degrees Fahrenheit so it feels like swimming in warm bath water.

Other Reviews for ConocoPhillips

Great Company to work for and great people

Former Employee - Data Specialist  in  Bartlesville, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Data Specialist in Bartlesville, OK (US)

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Very Family friendly Company and lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Large company and it can be difficult to get to the right people

Take the career growth of their employees more seriously

A recent personal experience of COP, Aberdeen, from the perspective of a young professional.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at ConocoPhillips full-time

Pros

Opportunities for further study

Most colleagues were friendly and pleasant enough people to work in a team with.

Strong focus on health and safety

Regular business updates provided to all staff through large Town Hall meetings

Yearly corporate health challenge which helped to improve morale and team spirit around the office.

Nice office location / surroundings - an area in which those who were keen on keeping fit could walk / jog at lunchtimes

Some good perks for all employees i.e. free lunches and access to on-site gym facilities and exercise classes.

Cons

Very poor initial training / handover and induction process on commencing employment with the company. One of the main reasons why I left the company I was employed by prior to starting with ConocoPhillips was that I felt I was not receiving enough guidance, training and development as a new employee and recent graduate. I made this very clear throughout the interview process and was advised that this was nothing to worry about at COP. However, on commencing employment at the company I discovered this to be worse than my previous company had provided and considered myself to be very much thrown in at the deep end and left to my own devices. Further down the line in the role, during a one to one discussion with my supervisor (who had already admitted to a more senior member of my team that the quality of handover and training I had recieved was particularly poor) advised me that they had expected me to "change" and "improve" more about the role than I had done already.

Poor and insensitive feedback process following an internal job interview - after being interviewed by management and subsequently failing to be appointed to an internal vacancy against an external candidate, no automatic feedback was provided to me following the interview process. I recieved an email advising me that I had been unsuccessful, which included a link to the corporate external career website. I then had to ask a total of three times via email for interview feedback before this was eventually provided to me - an entire month after the interview. On receipt of the feedback, there was no suggestions or guidance provided on how to improve my interview performance in the future. Furthermore, there was no mention or explanation of the time lapse between the interview and the feedback meeting. I was only advised of the reason why the external candidate was appointed over myself, which was that the candidate could "inject fresh ideas" into their department and "was from a line of work which the department had regular contact with".

It soon became apparent that I had been given false hope / promises at the onboarding stage regarding my future to make the role with the company more attractive. For example, at the inital interview stage with the company I was advised that there was a very strong chance that a new graduate scheme in my line of work which involved some travel to the USA was in the pipeline and was likely to be started within one year of myself accepting an offer with the company. However, the scheme never materialised and I did not recieve any update regarding the progress of the scheme during my two plus years in the role.

Negative staff morale and a relatively tense atmosphere in general. However, morale levels varied between departments and some departments and teams seemed to have a more positive and enthusiastic disposition than others.

I felt that there was a culture which made it very difficult for employees to admit that their workload was too large to cope with or that they were struggling with something in particular for fear of being considered weaker in comparison to others or not committed enough to their jobs. This tended to lead to a number of co-workers having to work through lunch hours on a regular basis, stay later in the evening or go into work at the weekends.

A large number of the supervisory / leadership team were unapproachable and aloof personalities, many appeared to be miserable in their jobs and lacked effective communication and interpersonal skills.

Generally cliquey and uninviting office environment (particularly for a new employee) and could take a good while for someone new to settle in. However, again the severity of this differed between areas of the company and it appeared to be down to the luck as to what type of personalities were in your team or department.

More emphasis placed on induction and training of new employees and recent graduates would improve individual and company performance and prevent people leaving earlier than expected as a result of dashed expectations.

Improvement to the feedback process following an internal interview to make it more professional, useful for the future and less insensitive for the internal candidate.

The supervisory and management team need to be careful that they are "practicing what they preach" - after one of my negative experiences involving a potential internal move described above, the same interviewer stood up infront of a large company meeting a few weeks later and enforced the message to everyone that feedback was important, describing it as being "a gift" and was something which all employees should be asking their immediate supervisors for on a regular basis!

Greater focus on some of the corporate "SPIRIT" values that the company prides itself on through the corporate website to prevent it from appearing to be just a PR tool.

Regular team building activities and encouraging more honest and open dialogue regarding work content and work load between supervisor and subordinates may improve overall morale and improve work / life balance for everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips.

Worked for ConocoPhillips? Contribute to the Community!