Con Edison
www.conedison.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Full-time Engineer Trainee (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison as an intern for more than a year

ProsI really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

ConsI felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con Edison full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Employment at Con Edison is very stable. Cons: There are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Probably the best place to work in New York

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison full-time for more than a year

Pros: Stable industry, decent compensation and benefits, nice people to work… Cons: Bureaucratic and inefficient system in general... Advice to Senior Management: The company needs more young and talented engineers Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Con Edison.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Con Edison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Con Edison CEO Kevin Burke. All reviews posted anonymously by Con Edison employees.