There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes

Mostly positive but not the direction for me

Current Employee - General
Current Employee - General

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

Family run, good solid backing from Warren Buffett's owernship. World class customer service goals, good innovation and constant improvement. Upper management and the corporate office are full of classy people who really do care and every year the company is striving to add more value for customers and team members. This is really a quality company and is definitely the best by far in the industry.

Cons

this is a tough industry that relies on people having a good enough credit score to buy your product. Unfortunately, it has become much tougher to get people financed over the last several years while at the same time we have become much more highly regulated and have a whole lot more hoops to jump through. Managers commission for personally selling homes(which is encouraged) was cut by about two-thirds this year.

revise the manager home sale commission back to appropriate levels or stop pushing personal sales on the manager

57 Other Employee Reviews for Clayton Homes (View Most Recent)

Getting back to the previous company culture that made them a great place to work back in the 80s and 90s.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Knoxville, TN (US)

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can be a fun place to work, and it's rewarding helping people become homeowners. Good pay plan for managers that produce.

Cons

Lots of pressure to produce. If a GM were to have a bump in the road with his local economy, or sales staff, and that resulted in him losing money for the company for 6 months to a year, he would spend the next period of equal time or more trying to dig himself out of the loses with no meaningful compensation. Many times winter months force the sales to stall out and a store to lose money during the end of the 4th qtr and the first part of the 1st qtr. I've heard stories of GMs living on their credit cards or home equity lines during this period of time only to have to pay it all back during the 2nd qtr. This can make it a tough roller coaster ride and frustrating. There is something of a disconnect with the marketing team at the corporate office and the field. Many promotions are rolled out without our input that prove to be largely ineffective.

Realize that no matter how much you measure store traffic, application volume, closing ratios, quarterly promos, etc., that there is only one thing that makes a real difference and increases sales; that is the experience of dependable and trustworthy GMs that have proven themselves as top performers in sales first. Then help that GM hire the best of the best salespeople.

Okay, but didn't like pay change

Former Employee - Home Consultant
    Former Employee - Home Consultant

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

I loved meeting different people and selling homes. I worked with great people.

Cons

Not many people got approved and If they did, the bank offered silly down payments and interest rates. Long hours

There are newer employer reviews for Clayton Homes

Worked for Clayton Homes? Contribute to the Community!