Catalyst Paper
www.catalystpaper.com Richmond, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great place to work if you've only got a few years left to work and want to retire on Van Isle.

Manager (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Catalyst Paper

ProsYou get to live on Vancouver Island and work in a company full of great people to work with. The most cooperative atmosphere I've ever worked in, very few ladder climbers and a stable, low-turnover workforce.

ConsThe company is in a sunset industry and has not invested the necessary capital to make their mills competitive. As a result they are continuous shutting down non-competitive equipment. This leads to the constant fear that there is another downsizing coming around the corner so you cannot make any long term life plans, are afraid to buy a house in town and always have one eye on the classified ads. This is not a concern if you're financially set and only a few years away from retirement, but for younger folks trying to make a life it is not viable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the cuts hard and fast then invest in the remaining assets to make them competitive.

Work Conditions

Senior Environmental Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good long term employment until newsprint industry took a dump. Cons: Mill closed due to downturn in newsprint industry. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Pros and Cons to work at Catalyst Paper

I have been working at Catalyst Paper

Pros: Big company, no overtime and a place to have work… Cons: No professional development and advance opportunity for growth Advice to Senior Management: recognize the value of key employees and offer opportunity for… More

There are newer reviews on Catalyst Paper.

Worked for Catalyst Paper? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Catalyst Paper reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Catalyst Paper CEO Kevin J. Clarke. All reviews posted anonymously by Catalyst Paper employees.