Overall a pretty good place to work. Work / Life balance can be a challenge at times

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CME Group

Pros

* Strong IT shop
* Willing to invest in IT Infrastructure
* Getting better on providing good working facilities and amenities
* Good chance to learn about the trading environment
* Only minimal travel required
* Good ability to move around laterally (sometimes even vertically)
* Not many staff reductions / layoffs
* Solid Senior Management
* On-site fitness facility

Cons

* Work / Life balance can be challenging at times. Depending on your group / role, there may be frequent Saturday work.
* Crazy work pace at times. Many high priority projects
* Some counter-productive employees seem to be able to survive and remain employed
* Not a major con, but you will see a good amount of nepotism
* Raises were mostly flat last couple of years.

* Continue to work on work / life balance initiatives
* Spend additional time coaching (or weeding out) of a few counter-productive employees

Other Reviews for CME Group

Great, unless you're a smart individual

Current Employee - Junior Market Reporter  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Market Reporter in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at CME Group

Pros

Great benefits package even though only working part-time

Hours are good for people that are not looking for the typical 9-5 job

Decent pay for part-time job

Cons

Management is underqualified and leaves employees feeling that they can do a better job than their superiors

The education courses are a waste of time because over half the class is used explaining common issues and does not leave enough time to even complete material

Really review the employees and offer bonuses or other incentives based on performance and not time there. There are definitely "favorites" when it comes to supervisors and if you are working for one of the lesser respected one, you too will also be looked down upon. This needs to be fixed immediately.

Short-term internship

Former Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at CME Group

Pros

The internship was short term and the company made sure that I was compensated for the extra expenditures imposed by that. I had useful discourse with my fellow employees and they were extraordinarily helpful when I encountered unfamiliar technology. The work was challenging and demanding, which is incredible for an internship and I felt that I learned a great deal.

Cons

While I understand that it is the norm to have cubicle farms at larger companies, I find them to be limiting. My boss was a 5 min walk from my desk and I felt like I had little interaction with them. The corporate culture was also unlike some of my previous experiences, not bad, just a very 9-5 vibe with many employees with very little passion.

I'm very glad that I took the internship, however, I don't know that I could work there based on the lack of passion exuded from many employees. I think there's a huge disconnect from the work that they are doing and the results that the company sees.

There are newer employer reviews for CME Group.

Worked for CME Group? Contribute to the Community!