It was a life changing, eye opening experience

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse  in  London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely families and some staff

Cons

Not enough staff or support

Other Reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Lots of window dressing, but shabby on the inside.

Former Employee - Infant Teacher  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was the highest paid child care facility in the area, was new and had a rather flexible budget, it seemed.

Cons

Long hours few opportunity for breaks even if scheduled. No substitute teacher so if you got sick and could not come to work , it was a crisis. And the PAPERWORK! Seriously, the amount of paperwork we had to do to make things look pretty for the parents severely cut into quality time with the children. The benefits also were nothing to write home about.

Support your teams and do not ever try to get a teacher to compromise her integrity by calling a parent before she called Children's Services in a serious situation.

dead-end and miserable jobs unless you are corporate management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Watertown, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA (US)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

You might have some really nice co-workers to bond with
    Somewhat flexible in scheduling hours depending on what department you work in
    They try to make an effort to fundraise for needy children

Cons

Employee childcare discount off of an exorbitant amount of tuition is not worth it in the long run.
    All other available benefits are terrible.
    HR in this company is primarily a party planning committee.
    If you get a raise, it's a pathetic amount on top of a pathetic wage to begin with.
    Corporate employees are told to "support" the centers -- essentially this means constant hand-holding and filling in everything but the signature blank on center management's paperwork for the corporate office. Center management is largely incompetent for handling administrative tasks. They are also made to handle a volume of functions that is rather inhumane, and so administrative tasks suffer even further.
    All other staff at centers are treated like crap and also paid a pathetic wage. their disgust causes high turnover in the centers, thus contributing more to the failure of administrators.
    The HEART principles are only used as a tool to coerce employees into not complaining about the lot they're dealt. If they make any complaint, they're told they are not acting in accordance with the HEART principles, so then they'll quiet down if they don't want to get in trouble.
    Upper corporate management does not listen to it's employees, they are very dismissive of people they find to be beneath them, they do not acknowledge problems that exist, they do not work on solutions for serious issues that corporate employees face everyday. As long as the tuition is rolling in, they're satisfied and happily celebrate their "success".
    Certain corporate employees are subtly excluded from corporate activities, and are treated as if they don't even exist.
    I know my particular department receives no bonuses or other incentives, and we have to fight to get an annual increase every year. It would not surprise me in the least to find out that certain other departments and upper management DO have many incentives and bonuses.
    My department also is not provided any career training or professional organization affiliation opportunities. We have no opportunity for advancement within our branch of the company. We are overworked and aren't even permitted to perform many tasks related to our field; instead we are forced to do the work of other departments and the centers, while a select few above us are permitted to hoard all significant responsibilities, rendering themselves indispensable.

They should be aware that this company would sink like a boulder in a lake if certain parts of the corporate office walked out.
    But they won't pay attention to any of this, even if they took the time to read it.

There are newer employer reviews for Bright Horizons Family Solutions.

Worked for Bright Horizons Family Solutions? Contribute to the Community!