Best Buy
3.3 of 5 4,727 reviews
www.bestbuy.com Richfield, MN 5000+ Employees

Ok for in-school employment

Inventory Specialist (Former Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, no (express or implied) overtime requirements - Makes it great for having a job for a little cash while you are in school. (Yes, it will be a little cash.) Managers and supervisors are a crap-shoot - some are great, while some leave you questioning how they have a job, much less a leadership position.

ConsHires almost exclusively high school and college students for the non-manager roles, which means that working on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (particularly the mornings) will entail numerous call-ins or no-shows leaving the rest of the crew to deal with the busiest of days. This also means that there is considerable employee turnover and, while training is not all that intensive, the inefficiency of this model is clear from the onset.

If you don't like working weekends, don't apply - for all intents and purposes it's a prerequisite.

Sometimes the part-time designation is viewed as a benefits-only distinction and you will work 32+ hour weeks (their full-time minimum), which, at first, is welcome if you are looking for some extra money and don't have any major health issues/are on a parents plan/are on a school's plan. However, eventually, it becomes clear that this is a way to get around providing employees who work full-time the benefits of their employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWarranty peddling - cut it out - some will buy, some won't.

Stop growing stores in the United States - the big box model is becoming more and more inefficient. Less stores - with less hires and more oversight - could also help to strengthen the brand.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great job with plenty of pros but a couple cons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Southaven, MS (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros: -They pay above minimum wage -PLENTY of hours during holiday season -Very respectful of school hours, other jobs, and just general life. -Great treatment from company -Plenty of… Cons: -Management expects you to follow customers around and bother them to buy something. I've heard a… Advice to Senior Management: Be a little more polite to customers and respect their personal spaces. Watch every department for people who… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Challenging, rewarding and fun

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros: I am never bored. There's always work to get done. I enjoy the people and the culture of the company. I have worked… Cons: Current state of the business makes it difficult to feel secure in my position. Best Buy also lacks discipline in terms of staying focused on… Advice to Senior Management: Get focused. Learn to lay out priorities and objectives/goals for your employees. Reduce the layers in management and the executive team. Directors should have a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Best Buy.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.