There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Employees reflect management

Former Employee - Barista in Wichita, KS (US)
Former Employee - Barista in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I very much enjoyed working at my particular B&N in Wichita. Since I was only seasonal, the management made all the difference. They were encouraging and supportive. We looked out for each other. Out of all the places I've worked, working at Barnes and Noble was by far my favorite place to ever work. The management was what made the difference.

Cons

Since I was seasonal, I really saw the changes happen when management changed. I didn't get any benefits since I worked under 30 hours: This let me get a better picture of management. When management changed, so did my hours. The managers who hired me or crossed trained me would give me hours, but new managers rarely (if ever) gave me hours.

1112 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

I loved it

Former Employee - Cafe Server in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and the company had great benefits. I met a bunch of great people while working here.

Cons

The hours were cut sometimes and customers were rude, but in general, people will always be rude.

Some good, some not so

Former Employee - Seasonal Bookseller in Skokie, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Bookseller in Skokie, IL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some very nice employees who do try to help you. Remember, with only a few days on the floor or on the register, we don't know what you have learned in years.
    For seasonal part-time work, a bookstore is less chaotic and has nicer customers than most any other retail store.
    The employee discount is a two-edged sword - - I probably spent more than I earned.

Cons

Some of the employees are very cliquish, won't make eye contact, won't acknowledge your existence, but will make snide criticisms to you. Do they think you want to replace them? For barely above minimum wage?
    The breakroom is small and dirty, with a community coat closet where you must hang your coat next to those of heavy smokers (pew), and a bank of tiny lockers with no locks. (Altho you may ask for the combination to a supply of locks.)
    Days/hours scheduled are erratic and at the mercy of the scheduler. You are told about benefits which apply to those working more than 30 hours - - but only management is scheduled for 30 hours or more. Why waste your breath? Seasonal workers are not in it for the long haul.

Improve the search software to allow more search options, i.e., click on a column to sort within the search hits.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble