Employees reflect management

Former Employee - Barista  in  Wichita, KS (US)
Former Employee - Barista in Wichita, KS (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I very much enjoyed working at my particular B&N in Wichita. Since I was only seasonal, the management made all the difference. They were encouraging and supportive. We looked out for each other. Out of all the places I've worked, working at Barnes and Noble was by far my favorite place to ever work. The management was what made the difference.

Cons

Since I was seasonal, I really saw the changes happen when management changed. I didn't get any benefits since I worked under 30 hours: This let me get a better picture of management. When management changed, so did my hours. The managers who hired me or crossed trained me would give me hours, but new managers rarely (if ever) gave me hours.

Other Reviews for Barnes & Noble

I loved it

Former Employee - Cafe Server  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cafe Server in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were nice and the company had great benefits. I met a bunch of great people while working here.

Cons

The hours were cut sometimes and customers were rude, but in general, people will always be rude.

Overall a great place for smart, friendly people

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff is fantastic--smart, hardworking, highly educated. Friendly and kind. Company was undergoing a major business model shift and was making some good moves to be competitive, was was appreciated by most staff at all levels. Being around books and coffee is a pretty nice way to spend your day.

Cons

Some real conflict of direction from above. Newer CEO ceased talking to stores, all focus went to online presence. Atmosphere became punitive for managers, and increasingly negative under stressful circumstances-a poor economy and dwindling marketshare. There started to be a bit of a "witch hunt" atmosphere. Often direction for executing process changes varied greatly from district to district and store to store, and would change often, which made it unclear, confusing and stressful to manage to that "moving target."

While important to remain nimble in a changing marketplace, stop scaring SMs and ASMs. You need them. A negative work environment will only accelerate poor sales performance. Store staff, as a rule, want the company to survive the paradigm shift. Clearer direction and communication with some positive feedback that is sincere would go a long way.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!