There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Changing Culture

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are generally smart, interesting, & passionate lovers of reading. Generous employee discount.

Cons

Pressure on employees is now selling electronics, i.e. Nook. Appreciation of book knowledge is no longer valued.

Books - not Nooks - still pay salaries. While selling Nooks is critical, remember the majority of customers still rely on employees for book knowledge, not electronic.

1117 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Annual Layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, attempts at trying to seem to care for the employees

Cons

They do layoffs EVERY year right after MLK birthday. Where careers come to dies.

Let employees know there is no growth. Don't hire anyone under 40 and no kids for that reason.

A love of books just wasn't enough to stay.

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Destin, FL (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with other book lovers, as well as customers who enjoy reading. There were occasional opportunities for independent merchandising, as well as coordinating community events. Customer interaction was generally rewarding. The pace was usually fast, with not much slow or down time, which I prefer, as it makes a shift pass quickly.

Cons

The bookselling team was not provided with adequate leadership. Department Leads were consistently scheduled to work in other departments, including the cafe, for up to 30 hours in a 40 hour work week. 10 hours per week is not enough time to effectively manage a department. I was a bookseller, not a barista, responsible for a department that provided 20-30% of store sales, yet I was often slinging coffee or working the registers. Proposals for increasing community relations and hosting events were almost always denied, with no explanation. The pay was considerably lower than other retail opportunities in the area. Employee morale was often low, with a general mood of frustration and a lack of inspiration on the sales floor.

I have worked in four different bookstores during the past 25 years; two large corporate chains, and two small independents. People who want to work in bookstores tend to be educated and passionate about books, and if provided with quality leadership and inspiration, will often go far above and beyond what is expected, even if they are being under-compensated. If your team is not doing this, I suggest you look in a mirror for answers.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble