There are newer employer reviews for BNSF Railway

horrible

Current Employee - I E O in Chicago, IL (US)
Current Employee - I E O in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

getting a paycheck and geico discount

Cons

no sick days,no overtime after 40hrs,biweekly pay,seniority doesn't count for much,no clean up time,can't bid for days off according to seniority and job duties.

BNSF needs to pay better than a subcontractor.

178 Other Employee Reviews for BNSF Railway (View Most Recent)

Ift's totally broke and no one knows how to fix it

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

The only reason anyone works here is for the pay, which hasn't keep pace with the economy

Cons

No schedule. You never know when you are going to work. The lineups are terrible and you are expected to be rested and ready for work 24/7 I have worked here 32 years and the management is terrible and no one is held accounable for their mistakes except the operating craft.

Get someone responsibe to manage who is not afraid of making waves. All you have now managing is a lot of ass-covering individuals who don't have any idea of their job and blame all the mistakes on their subordinates. I guess if you hire people off the street with no college experience to manage you have to expect this. By the way, I do have a college degree in Business Admin and Management so I know whereof I speak

Good job, but requires some sacrifices

Former Employee - Conductor in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Conductor in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at BNSF Railway

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, union job, great comraderie with co-workers, can work locally or over the rail, plenty of downtime on the job.

Cons

Can take a toll on your personal/family life, irregular work schedule can be a challenge mentally and physically, good chance you will be laid-off for periods of time during your first 5-years of employment.

Let the trainmasters do their jobs. Give your workers some recognition for a job well done once in a while.

There are newer employer reviews for BNSF Railway