BJ's Restaurants

www.bjsrestaurants.com
  www.bjsrestaurants.com
There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Just another restaurant job

Current Employee - Server in San Jose, CA (US)
Current Employee - Server in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

BJ's has pretty good food and excellent beer. It is open late, and my location was always busy. This translates into lots of opportunities to make $$$.

Cons

Job satisfaction is directly correlated with management. I worked with awesome managers and loved my job, and bad managers who made work hell. BJ's transfers managers all the time which makes employees have to adapt to new rules and preferences.

Keep managers in locations longer to build rapport with employees/guests.

209 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

One of the best places to serve

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Really great environment. Like all restaurants, it depends on the other employees that you work with. If you have good chemistry with other people and the manager, it will be a great place to work for.

Food is good, they hire the best of the best only. Employee discounts whenever dining in

Cons

Sometimes you do have to work long hours, despite one of the easiest place to work as a server, you will have some people get cut early and not do their closing duties.

Prepare and lead by example. My GM at the Pearland location could talk the talk, but when it came down to it couldn't really walk the walk. I saw him burn a lot of bridges with employees working there.

I don't recommend it.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Hotschedules
    Closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
    For me, getting requested days off has not been a problem, but this all depends on management.

Cons

BJ's is rapidly expanding and the ones who dictate how you do your job are corporate and mostly concerned about profits, they are not people who are actually working in the restaurant and interacting with guests and team members.
    They "offer" health insurance, but make it nearly impossible to get. If you are lucky enough to qualify, you will likely be dropped very soon for failing to make the required hours.
    Both locations I have worked for over hire. You can go from having a solid five shifts per week to three shifts with no warning. Therefore I don't recommend BJ's if you have bills to pay, it can cause a lot of stress.
    In addition to regular serving shifts, all servers are scheduled regular food running shifts (for your min wage, plus maybe $20 in tips for the night) and standby shifts.
    Standby Shifts are possibly the biggest con. You will be scheduled on "Standby" for either 12pm or 5:30pm. This means that management has until 12pm or 5:30pm to call you into work. You cannot make other plans for these times "in case" you get called into work. If you do not show and you are called in for a standby you will be written up for a no-show. In my opinion, dictating what an employee does away from work and off of the clock (making yourself available for a shift you may not receive) is wrong.
    Luckily, when you put in your time and lots of hard work, these shifts are less frequent if you have good management.
    Hosts are not tipped by servers, and to the restaurant's benefit. They are not trained to seat servers at a steady pace, but to fill the restaurant to 100% capacity 100% of the time. This means that if you have four tables all cleaned at once, and they have four parties of six waiting to be sat, they will all be sat in your section at once.
    I have had this happen to me and then get yelled at by a manager because there is no ice in one of the beverage stations. So I asked for help with this swarm of people I was just sat. He said, "No, I do not have time to be helping servers."
    Bussers are not allowed to pre-bus tables.
    Bartenders don't make much from server tipouts, and are regularly receiving secret shoppers. If they receive less than 100% in their bar shop they are suspended, so naturally they are focused on the guests. Therefore, it will take forever to get your drinks from the bar (up into 10 minutes) and your tips will suffer. I tip the bar really well, so its nothing to do with that, its just the way it goes.
    I have had some great managers at BJ's, but I have had some horrible ones. One was a GM (who was eventually transferred, thankfully) who would regularly yell and belittle servers, telling us to "Go work at Chili's" or Target. And it was not funny. He was a mean, horrible, condescending person and there are managers at BJ's who do not treat their employees like adults.
    I also feel that management can go overboard with comping meals for guests who are unhappy ("We Never Lose A Guest") and there are types of guests who know this and use it to their full advantage.
    The bottom line is, if you are looking for a serving job (especially if you have experience) there are much better options out there.

None. They just do what the big guys tell them to do.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants