Aspire Public Schools

www.aspirepublicschools.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review

Mission Driven Organization!

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for Aspire because all of the teammates are focused on the mission and vision. We are preparing students to earn a college degree. As a child of a parent who went to college and one who did not, I have seen first hand how college is a game changer!

I have been fortunate to work for Aspire for the past twelve years and been given the opportunity to wear several hats.

Cons

I don't have anything to complain about! This is a great place to have a career as an educator.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aspire has a great mission and staff. The systems, infrastructure, and culture around making data-driven decisions at all levels of the organization are years ahead of most other school districts. The commitment to serve students by building strong teachers is powerful. Overall, the organization runs very efficiently.

Cons

The organization has very high expectations which can require large time input. The focus on test scores is understandable given they are a charter, but is more narrowly focused on math and english than I would like.

2. Absolutely no work-personal life balance!

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Aspire Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about helping kids achieve and get to college. They have professional development (although way too much) to help teachers get better.

Cons

There is no balance between work and personal life. My nights and weekends are spent lesson planning. Everything (and I mean everything) must be made from scratch. There are no textbooks or resources to use to create lessons, worksheets, or workstations. There is constant testing (a different test every week) that feels like it never ends. The school I am at has lacked an effective principal and school-wide behavioral system, and as a result kids are extremely disrespectful and defiant toward many of the teachers. Aspire offers a "teacher resource portal" online to "help" with lesson plan ideas, however there is almost nothing in it and I don't know any teachers who use it. Low salary.

Advice to Management

Give your teachers more practical resources to help planning, stop having so many PDs during the week, and pay teachers what they're worth (70+ hr workweeks)!