Rough summer, but paid off!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- A paid internship (though not much) when most of what is out there is unpaid
- very supportive management team, even if they're not always with you in person. company culture is energetic and fun
- great training program - useful and fun...even more so if you "drink the kool aid" (or as they put it...lose your "cool card")
- if you want to go into sales or marketing, this is one of the hardest and therefore the most impressive thing you can do
- i had this internship the summer before my senior year of college, and when applying for post-grad jobs this was easily what I talked about most in interviews. I could draw an experience from my time with UD to answer practically any tough interview question. Companies would specifically ask me about this experience.
- while I was miserable for a lot of the time, I learned a ton about myself, my teammates, and sales in general.
- after, you will have concrete numbers to put on your resume with how much you sold and how much your team sold (even better if you hit goal and/or were one of the top in your region)

Cons

- lots and lots of rejection. you are trying to sell an outdated product (print ads), and trying to get businesses to reach out to a target demographic with limited spending power (college students). At training you are obviously told there will be many NOs and to treat those answers as "not yet" but I really didn't understand what that meant until I was out there doing it. you definitely need to have a thick skin, lots of motivation and energy.
- success depends a lot on your territory and who your teammates/managers are.
- you are alone the majority of the day, aside from team meetings AM and PM and meeting with business owners throughout the day. I found it to be very lonely and wanting to share the experience with my teammates, but we all had to be off doing our own things.
- the days are long and physically/mentally tiring, and when you do the math you will likely be making far less than minimum wage
- you likely won't see your additional commission until the fall.
- depending on your market you may face stiff competition from other college marketing companies, and other students doing/selling pretty much the same thing as you

overall, I would recommend this internship if sales/marketing is what you want to get into (or if you just want to try it, like i did). Even though I probably will not go into sales after this experience, the skills I built (time management, people skills, reaching a goal, teamwork, overcoming challenges, etc) are applicable in any sort of interview. You need to be extroverted, energetic, determined, and organized to do well. So, bottom line, there were many days where I hated what I was doing, but to this day I still call and thank my managers for the unmatched experience on my resume.

More prep for overcoming objections in training, more on-site management support. Company culture is great and what kept me going through many of the tough days...always encouraging and high-energy. Loved the little contests and promotions throughout the summer.

Other Reviews for AroundCampus

Pain in the ass but worth it in the end

I worked at AroundCampus

Pros

- Looks GREAT on a resume making the long summer well worth it
    - Training is down in Chapel Hill, NC and is some of the most fun that you'll ever have in any sort of training and get to meet some of the most fun and energetic college kids like you
    -Young working environment
    -Great sales experience
    - Its paid

Cons

- Complete COLD CALLING so if your not comfortable with this than this isn't the job for you
    - All day cold calling
    - Going to hear a lot of no's at first
    - Can get discouraging

Fullfilling

I have been working at AroundCampus

Pros

If you put in the effort, you will get hooked up with post grad jobs, plain and simple.
    You learn about yourself and foster great new skills/

Cons

You have to really work your ass off, sometimes things can be confusing and not all that transparent with regards to how you conduct yourself.

There are newer employer reviews for AroundCampus.

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!