Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Amazon's the world's largest non-profit startup

ProsAlmost everyone at Amazon is very talented, and the culture that Amazon explicitly values is positively unique among other megacorporations. The company is pretty generous with stock grants, though they tend to have protracted vesting schedules (could hardly be more so).

ConsWhat you've heard about pagers is true. Amazon is frugal to a fault, and most technical roles involve at least some portion of after-hours on-call operational support, no matter how talented you think you are. AWS is something of an exception; that org has more outsourced support teams to help with some of the more established service issues. Negotiate on the way in because, like many companies, annual compensation increases are modest at best. The company also has a very bad habit of buying the cheapest possible laptops for even its technical employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoiding attrition by valuing your contributors is important! Small things can matter a lot more than they cost. Even young people need work/life balance for long-term success, and people at any age need to sleep uninterrupted most of the time.

Work hard, have a huge impact

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: + Your work will likely be seen and used by millions + Fantastic… Cons: - Fairly stressful environment - Monthly on-call rotation Advice to Senior Management: Frugality shouldn't mean it's not the default to have the best tools for the job (dual monitors, newer… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to work with brightest minds around you

Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great people who always raise bar Cons: Worklife balance has to be improved as employees run against… Advice to Senior Management: I would want Amazonians to have improved work life balance Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!