There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Must Love Panic Attacks

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

Cons

After speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working).

Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

For Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.

3498 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Pure misery - much worse being an associate at a law firm

Former Employee - Corporate Counsel  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Counsel in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very competitive salary for Seattle market

Cons

- Workload and work/life balance (was even worse than being at a big law firm)
    - Inadequate training
    - Uninteresting work (get ready to spend your days writing disclaimers)
    - Few perks
    - Unsupportive environment with virtually no secretarial or paralegal support
    - Cramped, noisy and dark offices
    - Endless goal setting and review processes that keep you from doing your work
    - Dishonest personnel misrepresented the nature of the job and the benefit/compensation packages I would be given during the interview process
    - Only 2 weeks paid vacation per year during first 2 years of employment
    - Dogs all over the office - if you don't like hearing/seeing/smelling other people's dogs all day, you'll be miserable

If they have any interest in retaining talent, they should try to improve training and support, improve work/life balance, streamline the endless cycle of goal-setting and reviews and generally encourage an environment of teamwork and mutual support. Backbiting and dishonesty pervades throughout the legal department, beginning during interview process and lasting past when I gave notice. It surely is costly to have a revolving door of a legal department, but virtually everybody I know there left, or intends to leave, at the first opportunity.

Good internship.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great company with lots of smart people to work with. Good benefits, even for interns. Will subsidize living and moving expenses.

Cons

Forever to setup machines and setup your workspace. Sometimes you can get stuck with a really bad project, so you might or might not get lucky.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!