There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Must Love Panic Attacks

I worked at Amazon.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

Cons

After speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working).

Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

Advice to Management

For Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fast paced and exciting

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Plainfield, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Plainfield, IN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, excellent benefits, and opportunities to advance

Cons

Training minimal and the feedback system needs improvement

Advice to Management

Put more effort into training your associates to be ready for the next level.

Company of Smart People

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great attitude towards customers at all levels and all job functions resulting directly to very happy customers.
    Very smart colleagues
    Fun atmosphere
    Excellent tools
    People do try to do the right thing

Cons

Having very smart colleagues means it is harder to stand out
    While pay and stock grants are pretty good, other benefits are basic. Company maintains a culture of disciplined spending/frugality. I don't really think this is too much of a problem although other people seeking the "Google" perks will probably be disappointed.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com